[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Miguel Vieira
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  22/NOV/2003 5:31 PM
Assunto:  Re: Viagem

Mensagem:  Look man, I was just doing an analysis. I'm aware that "Anglo" is the term Southerners use when referring to European-Americans, regardless of what country their people came from. I still don't think it's an accurate term. I just wanted to sort of remind her of how "white" people in the "deep south" refer to themselves. You see, "white" Brazilians go through a painful reality check when they come to America and realize that European-Americans don't consider them to be "white". The difference is that in America both Black and White people INSTINCTIVELY adhere to the "one drop rule". Now, as you know "white" Brazilians have a lot drops of African blood running through their veings, thus not white by America standards. This is what I really wanted to remind her of. You mind think of it as unnecessary but is isn't. Everything permeats around race in America. So it would only do her good to know this before she comes, especially given that she will be staying in the "deep south".

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Viagem  –  Cibélle  21/NOV/2003, 1:22 PM
Re: Viagem  –  Miguel Vieira  21/NOV/2003, 2:48 PM
Re: Viagem  –  pat  21/NOV/2003, 4:39 PM
 Re: Viagem  –  Miguel Vieira  22/NOV/2003, 5:31 PM
Re: Viagem  –  pat  22/NOV/2003, 9:17 PM
Re: Viagem  –  Miguel Vieira  23/NOV/2003, 6:05 PM
Re: Viagem  –  pat  23/NOV/2003, 7:16 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K