[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Miguel Vieira
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  23/NOV/2003 6:05 PM
Assunto:  Re: Viagem

Mensagem:  Oh, I'm very aware of this phenomenon. It goes both ways, "white" southerners won't necessarily have an affinity with white europeans either. The way I see it is that the term "white" has not only a racial connotation but also a huge cultural meaning in the south. In other words, a "white" southerner doesn't just see anyone who's phenotypically "caucasian" as "white", to him that person in order to be a "real" white has to be culturally "white" also, by southern standards. As for the Black ones, I believe the main reason they don't have a strong affinity with other Blacks from the Black diaspora(Jamaica, Colombia, Haiti, Brazil, Trinidade&Tobago) is because they perceive them as being insensitive to their history(Black-American history) and causes. You see, often non-US diasporic blacks come to America and act like they're somewhat on a higher pedestal. This really angers African-Americans. It wouldn't be uncommon to hear them make comments about African-Americans that you would only expect from far right extremists. In addition, the fact that they are more likely to kiss the whiteman's ass also angers African-Americans. It's a very complex matter. The reason I see it so clearly is because I'm always looking from the outside. Nevertheless, I think what Brazilians and other nationalities face when they come to America is good in a way, especially the ones who are classified as "white" in their countries and non-white in America. This allows them to have a glimpse of what it is like to be non-white in their own racist countries, regardless as to how subtle their style of racism is.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Viagem  –  Cibélle  21/NOV/2003, 1:22 PM
Re: Viagem  –  Miguel Vieira  21/NOV/2003, 2:48 PM
Re: Viagem  –  pat  21/NOV/2003, 4:39 PM
Re: Viagem  –  Miguel Vieira  22/NOV/2003, 5:31 PM
Re: Viagem  –  pat  22/NOV/2003, 9:17 PM
 Re: Viagem  –  Miguel Vieira  23/NOV/2003, 6:05 PM
Re: Viagem  –  pat  23/NOV/2003, 7:16 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K