ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas@yahoo.com.br
Data:  10/FEV/2007 9:54 PM
Assunto:  Calabresa - to Dale

Mensagem: 

Pepperoni is much harder and hotter (picante) than calabreza.  On a pizza, however, the taste is similar.  Sliced calabreza and sliced pepperoni look much alike. Unsliced, pepperoni is much longer than calabreza and often thinner.  You can make a sandwich with slices of pepperoni, but I wouldn't try one made of a whole pepperoni sausage.  It would probably break teeth, jaws, etc.  Oh, and pepperoni requires no additional cooking.

Toscana and what Americans call simply "Italian sausage" require cooking.  They look and feel much alike prior to cooking.  Toscana seems to be much firmer after cooking than Italian sausage.  Toscana does not taste like Italian sausage.  Italian sausage is wonderful in lasagna, with eggs for breakfast, in sandwiches (as is calabreza), etc.  It comes sweet (not spicy) and hot (sometimes VERY spicy).

When I was a kid, I worked with a family from Lucca.  That made them, of course, "toscanos" (toscani).  I never heard the sausage we sold called anything but sausage.  It did not have a special name.  It was the same as "Italian sausage" described above.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Calabresa  –  Flavoca  09/FEV/2007, 9:44 PM
Calabresa  –  Wauber  09/FEV/2007, 10:44 PM
Calabresa  –  Dale/CR  10/FEV/2007, 5:40 AM
Calabresa  –  Wauber  10/FEV/2007, 12:26 PM
Calabresa  –  Dale/CR  10/FEV/2007, 1:43 PM
Calabresa  –  Josi  10/FEV/2007, 3:47 PM
Calabresa - to Dale  –  Thania  10/FEV/2007, 9:01 PM
 Calabresa - to Dale  –  Dale/CR  10/FEV/2007, 9:54 PM
Calabresa - to Dale  –  Vistante  11/FEV/2007, 9:05 AM