ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas@yahoo.com.br
Data:  21/FEV/2007 3:07 AM
Assunto:  go for x go infor

Mensagem: 

I may be wrong, but....  I see "to go for" as meaning to like, want, or approve of and "to go in for" as meaning to participate in.  Similar but not the same.  No scientific study.  Just telling you what my ear tells me.

I could go for a beer. = I would like a beer.

(Surprisingly, "I could go in for a beer" could mean "I could contribute money toward the purchase of a beer" or "I could enter a location to obtain a beer.")

I don't go for having dogs in the house. = I do not approve of having dogs in the house.\

I don't go for waiting until the last minute to study for an exam. = I don't like to wait until the last minute to study for an exam.

I go for blondes. = I like blondes.

I can't go for that. = I do not approve of that. (From lyrics of rock and roll song.)

I go in for canoe trips. = I like to take canoe trips.  (More than just liking, I participate in them.)

I can't go in for that kind of conduct. = I can't participate in (condone) that kind of conduct.  (More than just a dislike.)

He goes in for football. = He plays football.  (More than just watching, he participates.)

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
go for x go infor  –  Oicram_oiroso  20/FEV/2007, 9:54 PM
 go for x go infor  –  Dale/CR  21/FEV/2007, 3:07 AM
go for x go infor  –  Oicram_oiroso  21/FEV/2007, 9:57 PM
go for x go infor  –  Dale/CR  21/FEV/2007, 11:15 PM
go for x go infor  –  Oicram_oiroso  21/FEV/2007, 11:59 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K