[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Tom
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  30/NOV/2003 2:38 PM
Assunto:  Re: Language and culture

Mensagem:  No, they are not separate. A good teacher embeds culture, history and social issues into the language as it is taught. When drawing up subject matter a good teacher seeks ways to teach more than just grammar, phonics, etc. If I were teaching English in Brazil I'd be sure and weave in examples of our common issues. Here's an example: Did you know there was a World War from 1939 to 1945? Did you know the USA entered the war after the attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii? Well, when did Brazil enter the war? Did Brazil send soldiers and airmen to battle in Europe? What happened off of the coast of Brazil during the war? Why were the airfields in Brazil so important to the Canadians and Americans? How many Brazilians learned to fly airplanes at schools in the USA? What were Uruguay and Argentina doing about the war? How did the social structure of the USA change during the war (integration, women working in factories, etc). How did it affect the man on the street in Brazil? What technological advances took place? Did it help open up the northeast to more modern industry or commerce? That's just a tip of the iceberg. A teacher can choose from thousands of subjects and integrate them into dialogues, compositions (fazendo uma redação sobre um sujeito designado pelo/pela profesor/professora), discoursos, etc. If I'm teaching Portuguese to a class in the USA I'd be sure and include stuff about Brazil. How about discussing the movie that Orson Wells made about the jangadeiros? Anyone know about that? I do, Tom

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Language and culture  –  matheus  30/NOV/2003, 10:58 AM
Re: Language and culture  –  Rui  30/NOV/2003, 12:40 PM
 Re: Language and culture  –  Tom  30/NOV/2003, 2:38 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K