[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Tom
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  30/NOV/2003 8:24 PM
Assunto:  Re: A question to Tom

Mensagem:  I would say that "ticked off" is not as strong as "pi**ed off" because when you are ticked off you are irritated but when you are pi**ed of people better stay out of your way. People who are pi**ed off do things they later regret...throw beer bottles, pick fights with people who don't look like it but really are judo or karate experts, etc. You have to realize that young women and ladies have to be able to say "pi**ed off" without really using those words. Many don't even worry about it and just say the words. However, those who want to be polite and still convey the thought say something like, "Boy, John sure was P.O.'d (dito "P owed") when he saw that someone had damaged his parked car." My wife lead sort of a sheltered life and didn't hear a lot of strong language early in life. She did hear P.O.'d and thought it meant "put out" because the subject was always upset. Now that Pat has reminded me of the word "allusion" let me give you another. To be ticked off is a common expression; so is to be run down. It's another allusion about the body being like a clock. When we get tired we say we "are run down." Example: "I don't have the energy to do my homework, I'm too run down." Now this version of "to be run down" is not the same as in the next example....this one is not an allusion: "He got run down when he was crossing the street." (Êle foi atropelado ao cruzar a rua." Isn't English a wonderful language!! Tom

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
A question to Tom  –  Rita  30/NOV/2003, 1:38 PM
Re: A question to Tom  –  Tom  30/NOV/2003, 2:24 PM
Re: A question to Tom  –  pat  30/NOV/2003, 4:47 PM
Re: A question to Tom  –  Tom  30/NOV/2003, 5:16 PM
Re: A question to Tom  –  Rita  30/NOV/2003, 7:20 PM
 Re: A question to Tom  –  Tom  30/NOV/2003, 8:24 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K