ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  02/ABR/2007 12:54 PM
Assunto:  apples and apples?!

Mensagem: 

"Some companies charge thousands of a typical job that could be done for less than $1000, so take notes on the exact kind of treatment and compare apples and apples when getting estimates. See at least two or three companies before hiring one".

There is an expression in English that can be expressed several ways, but refers to "apples and oranges".  Apples are not oranges.  Oranges are not apples.  You have experience running a computer company, and I have experience as president of a stamp collecting club.  We cannot compare our experiences because "we are talking apples and oranges", we are trying to compare things that are not comparable.  You take your car to the garage and the mechanics change the oil.  I take mine to the same garage and they install a new engine.  We can't compare our bills because it would be "comparing apples and oranges", it would be comparing things that cannot be compared. 

"...(S)o take notes on the exact kind of treatment and compare apples and apples when getting estimates."  In other words, compare jobs that are the same, jobs that are comparable. 

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
apples and apples?!  –  Gus.  02/ABR/2007, 12:37 PM
 apples and apples?!  –  Dale/CR  02/ABR/2007, 12:54 PM
To Dale.  –  Gus.  02/ABR/2007, 1:06 PM
To Dale.  –  Dale/CR  02/ABR/2007, 1:29 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K