PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  02/ABR/2007 1:10 PM
Assunto:  Uma curiosidade

Mensagem: 

This is an old subject.

Some of the difficulties are as well known as they are hilarious.  In a song (by Credence Clearwater?) people have sworn that the singer is saying "There's a bathroom on the right."  That is certainly what I had heard for many years.  Actually, he is singing "There's a bad moon on the rise." 

I had a crush on Anita Baker.  Loved her voice, but I eventually realized I had no idea what she was singing.  Years ago I listened to some of her songs and wrote down the lyrics for a friend in the Philippines.  Correction:  I wrote down what I thought were the lyrics.  When I later compared what I had thought I had heard with a written copy of the lyrics, I discovered that for years I had been hearing things that she had not been singing.  One mistake that comes to mind is "Lonely nights have opened my eyes."  Actually, she was singing "Loneliness has opened my eyes."  She sang with such emotion and passion that the pronunciation was not clear.

Children often hear things that are not said.  In a religion class, a friend asked children to paint a picture of something or someone from the Bible.  A little kid painted an airplane with four people on board.  Three people were easy to identify:  Joseph, Mary, and the Baby Jesus.  And the fourth person?  The kid explained, "That's Pancho the Pilot" (Pontius Pilate)!

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Uma curiosidade  –  joao pedro  02/ABR/2007, 9:07 AM
uma curiosidade!!!  –  Márcio Farias  02/ABR/2007, 11:24 AM
uma curiosidade!!!  –  Fabio  02/ABR/2007, 11:28 AM
 Uma curiosidade  –  Dale/CR  02/ABR/2007, 1:10 PM
Uma curiosidade  –  Márcio Farias  02/ABR/2007, 1:41 PM
Uma curiosidade/For everybody  –  Cintra Nobre  03/ABR/2007, 9:59 AM
Uma curiosidade  –  Diego  02/ABR/2007, 11:13 PM
Diego/Uma curiosidade  –  Dale/CR  02/ABR/2007, 11:39 PM
Uma curiosidade  –  joao pedro  03/ABR/2007, 2:11 PM