ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  11/ABR/2007 6:00 PM
Assunto:  bode espiatório

Mensagem: 

Alexandre, years ago a friend living in Mexico City told me that in Mexico everything bad was the fault of (1) the Spanish conquistadores, (2) the Indians, (3) the Catholic church, or (4) the damn Yanquis.  The more I thought about it, the more I agreed with him.  People love to blame others for their problems.  It's so convenient to have a scapegoat.  When was the last time we heard, "Boy, we need to correct our behavior in reference to X, Y, and Z"?  No, it's someone else's fault and we are helpless.

In California I was a member of two Argentine groups.  I doubt that the Circulo Argentino exists any longer, but the Asociacion Argentina de Los Angeles was going strong the last time I heard about it.  In Brazil I heard lots of anti-Argentine sentiment.  In Argentina, people didn't seem to understand how little they were liked in Brazil.  Argentines critcized the Chileans and Peruvians.  If something was stolen, the theft was carried out by a Chilean or a Peruvian.  (Paraguyans and Bolivians were okay.)  In Chile, I heard lots of anti-Argentine remarks.  It's such a waste of time and energy to have these prejudices. 

I had, by the way, a great time in Argentina and Chile, meeting really nice people and feeling very welcome.  But I never liked people from Iceland....     

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
bode espiatório  –  bee  08/ABR/2007, 6:25 AM
bode espiatório  –  Wauberr  08/ABR/2007, 8:37 AM
bode espiatório  –  Adriana Leal  08/ABR/2007, 10:49 AM
bode expiatório  –  Márcio Farias  08/ABR/2007, 12:01 PM
bode espiatório  –  Allen  08/ABR/2007, 1:17 PM
bode espiatório  –  Alexandre  10/ABR/2007, 11:55 AM
 bode espiatório  –  Dale/CR  11/ABR/2007, 6:00 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K