ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  03/JUN/2007 2:07 PM
Assunto:  Educação a distância

Mensagem: 

Marcio, I would advise against using "MF", "MFing", "MFer", etc. as "MF" is the abbreviation of a rather bad word in English.

As for "DL", the trouble with abbreviations is that they can mean something to one person and nothing to someone else.  Does "BSA" stand for Boy Scouts of America, or does it stand for "British Small Arms"?  The answer is yes to both questions.

In a conversation, one may say:

"I've taught distance learning or 'DL' students for the past two years.  DL has become very popular because....", 

"I've taught DL students - that's what we call distance learning - for the past two years.  DL has become very popular because....",

"I've taught DL students for the past two years.  DL, as you know, means distant learning", etc.

In writing, one could state, "I've taught distant learning (DL) students for two years.  DL has become very popular because...."

I try to be cautious about using abbreviations unless I'm certain that I'll be understood.  Many years ago on my first day in an office, on the blackboard, where we would sign in and out, after a name I found "OD".  To me, OD stood for "overdose of drugs".  My God, had someone been using drugs???   I was relieved to learn that at that office it meant "officer of the day", An OD is someone responsible for emergencies in the caseloads of colleagues not in the office at that time (sick, in the field, etc.).

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Educação a distância  –  ana teresa  03/JUN/2007, 11:13 AM
Educação a distância  –  Márcio Farias  03/JUN/2007, 1:27 PM
Educação a distância  –  Ana Teresa  03/JUN/2007, 1:44 PM
 Educação a distância  –  Dale/CR  03/JUN/2007, 2:07 PM
Educação a distância  –  Márcio Farias  03/JUN/2007, 4:22 PM
Educação a distância  –  Dale/CR  04/JUN/2007, 6:41 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K