ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  06/JUN/2007 2:59 PM
Assunto:  Pretérito perfeito

Mensagem: 

Lika, I speak Portuguese as a second language, of course.  I can't think of any game, song, trick, etc. that could help.  Your students need to release their grip on the crutch called "English" and accept the concept you are trying to get across. 

It seems strange to a speaker of English as a mother language that "ja falei" could ever be translated as "I have spoken".  We want to say "tenho falado", but that means something entirely different.  All I can think of is that this must be explained, students can be given simple exercises that have answers that are clearly either right or wrong, and then given exercises with more freedom in which they can use the verbs in situations that as close as possible to actual conversations. 

A possibility that just came to mind is a technique that has worked well for me.  You have been teaching the right way to say things.  Correct?  Show them the wrong way.  Use the verbs incorrectly and have the students tell you why you are wrong and how they would use the verbs correctly.  The idea may sound silly, but it may contain the missing spark.  What do you have to lose?  This trick, by the way, works wonders in teaching pronunciation.  Some students cannot hear the correct way to say something, but upon hearing the incorrect way they understand where they have been going wrong.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Pretérito perfeito  –  Lika  05/JUN/2007, 8:19 AM
Pretérito perfeito  –  José Roberto  05/JUN/2007, 11:39 AM
Pretérito perfeito  –  To Jose R (MRob)  05/JUN/2007, 8:06 PM
Pretérito perfeito  –  Lika  05/JUN/2007, 10:12 PM
Pretérito perfeito  –  Márcio Farias  06/JUN/2007, 11:33 AM
 Pretérito perfeito  –  Dale/CR  06/JUN/2007, 2:59 PM
Pretérito perfeito  –  Lika  07/JUN/2007, 9:34 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K