PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  06/JUN/2007 11:29 PM
Assunto:  Adiantamento de salário -- Port>Ing

Mensagem: 

Advance wages for work 

The term "advance wages" is not a common expression.  Google is unreliable because in most entries "advance" is a verb, not an adjective.  Advance wages is money paid to employees in anticipation of scheduled work.  Don't confuse "advance wages" with "wage advances".

The term "wage advance" is relatively common and refers to a payment (partial or total) of wages before the normal date for payment.  Typically the wages have been earned but not yet paid.  Employee X earns $2000 per month and is paid on the 1st and 15th of each month.  The money he is paid on the 1st of the month probably reflects his wages for the period between the 1st and 15th of the previous month, and the money paid on the 15th probably reflects his wages for the period between the 16th and the end of the previous month.  This varies from company to company.  It is impractical in most cases to pay a worker for a work period that has ended very recently.  It would be a nightmare for the payroll department.

Employee X is scheduled to receive $1000 on July 1st.  On June 25th he has a family emergency and requires money immediately.  He may ask for a "wage advance" of $500 to be paid as soon as possible.  Note that the money has already been earned.  This is not an unusual practice in small companies with fewer employees.

Dead horse 

A "dead horse" is a subject that is dead, discussed, inactive, already decided upon, etc.  It has nothing to do with salaries, wages, pay, etc.  You keep asking the father of Mary for permission to marry her.  Each time he tells you no.  You ask again.  He tells you, "I've told you three times that I won't let my daughter marry someone who doesn't have a job and doesn't have plans to get one.  Until you get a job, this subject is a dead horse.  Regardless of how many times you ask my permission, I will give you the same answer:  no!"  Your wife wants to move to New York.  You hate the city and say you do not want to live there.  She asks again and again.  You tell her that it's a dead horse, that you've already given your answer and it's useless for her to keep asking to move there.

Wages upfront

"Wages upfront" is merely a colloquial way of saying "advance wages".  "Upfront" in this context means first.  You will be happy to play the guitar at the nightclub on Friday, but ask to be paid upfront (before you play).  You agree to paint the house, but you want your wages upfront (prior to working) so that you can buy the paint, brushes, etc.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Adiantamento de salário -- Port>Ing  –  Márcio Farias  06/JUN/2007, 8:42 PM
Adiantamento de salário -- Port>Ing  –  Márcio Farias  06/JUN/2007, 8:46 PM
Adiantamento de salário -- Port>Ing  –  PPAULO  06/JUN/2007, 9:26 PM
Adiantamento de salário -- Port>Ing  –  MiltonHW  06/JUN/2007, 10:00 PM
 Adiantamento de salário -- Port>Ing  –  Dale/CR  06/JUN/2007, 11:29 PM
Nota de agradecimento  –  Márcio Farias  07/JUN/2007, 1:25 PM
Nota de agradecimento  –  PPAULO  08/JUN/2007, 6:12 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K