Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  11/JUN/2007 7:50 PM
Assunto:  sandfly

The word sandfly is a colloquial name given to many kinds of small, flying insects including small flies, mosquitos, gnats, etc.  The "noseeum" (no see them) is sometimes called a sandfly.  Sandflies are commonly found around beaches. 


The "borrachudo" is such a nasty, aggressive, vicious, little SOB that I don't think I would call him a sandfly.  No, I'd call a borrachudo a borrachudo. 


If you are doing a translation, I'd suggest you call them "mosquitos" or "moscas".  They could be either.



Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

 English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
sandfly  –  Marco  11/JUN/2007, 7:31 PM
 sandfly  –  Dale/CR  11/JUN/2007, 7:50 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K