ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  22/JUN/2007 12:56 AM
Assunto:  Wake up, get up and stand up

Mensagem: 

To get up = This can mean to get to your feet, stand up, change from a non-standing  position to a standing position, or get out of bed. 

You fell down.  Are you hurt?  May I help you get up?

I have been sitting here for an hour.  My butt is getting tired.  I think I'll get up and walk around.

It's six o'clock and it's time to get up.  Come on, wake up and get out of bed!

To stand up = This means to get to your feet, to change from a non-standing position to a standing position.  It has nothing to do with sleep.

You fell down.  Are you hurt?  May I help you get up?

I have been sitting here for an hour.  My butt is getting tired.  I think I'll get up and walk around.

To wake up = This means to awaken, stop sleeping.  The context may imply that you get out of bed at this time.

I woke up at six this morning. = I awoke at six this morning.

Don't wake me up before nine tomorrow. = Don't awaken me before nine tomorrow. 

I woke her up at seven this morning.  I awoke her at seven this morning.

I was awakened by a loud noise.

(Note that "to awaken" does not take "up".)

I woke up at three this morning, but I didn't get up until six.  For three hours I remained in bed, watching TV or reading.  I couldn't sleep.  When I finally stood up, I realized how tired I was.  I went into the kitchen, fixed some breakfast, sat down at the table, and watched the news on TV.  Then I got up and walked into the living room.  Suddenly I felt very sleepy, so I returned to the bedroom and went back to bed and soon fell asleep.  I was awakened at ten when Marta came home from class.  I got up, took a shower, got dressed, and joined her for a cup of coffee.

............................................................................................................

Here are a few other expressions you can use with "to get up, stand up, wake up".

When you get up to First Street, turn left.  (reach)

He has a lot of get up and go.  (He has a lot of energy.)

When are you going to get up the nerve/courage to ask for a raise?  (to find the courage to do something)

He's a stand-up friend.  (honest, responsible, good, dependable)

John and Mary had planned to go to a dance last night, but he stood her up.  (not to keep a date)

Wake up and smell the coffee!  (Don't be stupid!  Be realistic!)

The small fire at the factory was a wake up call.  An inspection revealed many unsafe conditions.  (wake up call = a warning)

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Wake up, get up and stand up  –  Migrainegirl  21/JUN/2007, 11:54 PM
 Wake up, get up and stand up  –  Dale/CR  22/JUN/2007, 12:56 AM
Wake up, get up and stand up  –  PPAULO  22/JUN/2007, 1:21 AM
Wake up, get up and stand up  –  The real Alexandre  22/JUN/2007, 5:16 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K