ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  22/JUN/2007 1:44 PM
Assunto:  Am I getting old or what?

Mensagem: 

Daniel, your Starbuck conversation was right on.  It was perfect.  Sometimes people almost argue over who thanks whom.

Thank you!

No, thank you!

No, not at all.  It was my pleasure.  Thank you!

No, really, thank you!

It's not that I want people to thank me for something, but it's nice to hear an acknowledgement that at least they received it.  

Brazilians do not have a monopoly on what, at least to me, appears to be bad manners.

In the USA I was walking through a plaza when a man (looked like a bum) asked me if I had any food.  It happened that I had an extra sandwich.  I gave him the sandwich, he looked at it and said, "I don't like that kind of sandwich!"  Kiss my foot.  If you don't like the free sandwich I'm giving you, get off your butt, get a job, and earn the money to buy the kind of sandwich that you do like!

Another time a scout leader in the USA said he was looking for donations of old shortwave radios.  I had a Hallicrafter in excellent condition.  I gave it to him.  He looked at it and said, "It's not as strong as I wanted."  Gee, I sure am sorry.  It was the best radio I could afford.  I should have worked harder, earned more, and bought a more expensive radio so that some day I could give it to you.  Idiot.

A friend died in the Philippines.  I sent money to her sister to help with funeral expenses.  I asked twice by letter and once through a sister-in-law if the money had been received.  I never got a response.  I wasn't asking to be thanked; I was asking for confirmation that the money order had been received.  Too much trouble.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Am I getting old or what?  –  PPAULO  21/JUN/2007, 9:27 PM
Am I getting old or what?  –  PPAULO  21/JUN/2007, 9:30 PM
Am I getting old or what?  –  Márcio Farias  21/JUN/2007, 9:53 PM
Am I getting old or what?  –  PPAULO  22/JUN/2007, 12:04 AM
Am I getting old or what?  –  Dale/CR  22/JUN/2007, 1:16 AM
Am I getting old or what?  –  PPAULO  22/JUN/2007, 3:01 AM
Am I getting old or what?  –  Daniel  22/JUN/2007, 7:01 AM
 Am I getting old or what?  –  Dale/CR  22/JUN/2007, 1:44 PM
Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!  –  Márcio Farias  22/JUN/2007, 7:22 PM
Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!  –  Dale/CR  22/JUN/2007, 8:05 PM
Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!  –  Márcio Farias  22/JUN/2007, 11:22 PM
Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!  –  Dale/CR  23/JUN/2007, 12:45 AM
Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!  –  Johannes  23/JUN/2007, 5:26 AM
Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!  –  Márcio Farias  23/JUN/2007, 1:55 PM
Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!  –  PPAULO  23/JUN/2007, 7:11 PM
Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!  –  Johannes  24/JUN/2007, 7:59 AM
Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!  –  Casanova  24/JUN/2007, 2:52 PM
Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!  –  PPAULO  24/JUN/2007, 9:06 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K