Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  23/JUN/2007 7:11 PM
Assunto:  Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!

Mensagem: 

I don´t think it´s necessary thanks all the time I answer a question, but in general, when we get someone acquainted we get some closeness we begin to thanks.

I imagine that a donation, a gift/present worth a thanking, and a reply is equivalent to these, a mere smile when we sit on a bus´ chair or are in completelly strange enviroment (example: the first day of class/course/work etc).

I have seen others message boards and, as a guise of example, bbc message board, people often return and thanks, me included.

And, by the way, cost nothing.

I positively am sure on what I say: Brazilians aren´t  grateful, if they ask directions in a city they don´t say 'much obligated' ; plus, maybe because of it that in many cities you ask directions and people say EAST when the street you must find out is in WEST (mainly in urban centers, you know).

I think every citizen in the world should visit other country, with somebody´s else culture, to compare; the more you travel the more you know.

I particularly didn´t travel beyond my country, but the readings I read, and the words I heard and the movies I saw gives me some to compare.

I am not a talkative man (after I know one, I became more so), when in Rio, for example, for my own initiative I befriended almost nobody; tired and loaded for my job I arrived my apartment dreaming of  a bath and forty winks.

Even so, my spouse and children made a lot of friends and I would turn friend of them too, and why not smile to the janitor? and when bumpep into someone in the streets not to smile (when possible?) and not to argue and pick a fight?

Again, if someone don´t thanks me on something, all right, no problem, but it is weird to me anyway, ´cause as possible as I thank others, not that I demand it.

The same happens when I am in a hurry in the streets and an acquaintance sees me and speaks (but I am so absorbed in solving a problem, that I don´t even hear!).

That´s why I warn my friends that I say that things like this happens when it comes to me, they don´t ever get surprised!  The same with them, I only would take it as a weird thing when after the tenth or twentieth encounter they turned their face to the other side and go as if I didn´t existed (because I know that a person can have been absorbed in some thing too).

But, there are people that study in the same uni, for example , that meet with you in other place and don´t take notice, only by being snob, that´s true.

See ya later.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Am I getting old or what?  –  PPAULO  21/JUN/2007, 9:27 PM
Am I getting old or what?  –  PPAULO  21/JUN/2007, 9:30 PM
Am I getting old or what?  –  Márcio Farias  21/JUN/2007, 9:53 PM
Am I getting old or what?  –  PPAULO  22/JUN/2007, 12:04 AM
Am I getting old or what?  –  Dale/CR  22/JUN/2007, 1:16 AM
Am I getting old or what?  –  PPAULO  22/JUN/2007, 3:01 AM
Am I getting old or what?  –  Daniel  22/JUN/2007, 7:01 AM
Am I getting old or what?  –  Dale/CR  22/JUN/2007, 1:44 PM
Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!  –  Márcio Farias  22/JUN/2007, 7:22 PM
Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!  –  Dale/CR  22/JUN/2007, 8:05 PM
Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!  –  Márcio Farias  22/JUN/2007, 11:22 PM
Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!  –  Dale/CR  23/JUN/2007, 12:45 AM
Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!  –  Johannes  23/JUN/2007, 5:26 AM
Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!  –  Márcio Farias  23/JUN/2007, 1:55 PM
 Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!  –  PPAULO  23/JUN/2007, 7:11 PM
Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!  –  Johannes  24/JUN/2007, 7:59 AM
Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!  –  Casanova  24/JUN/2007, 2:52 PM
Some of my neighbors won't Good Morning me!  –  PPAULO  24/JUN/2007, 9:06 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K