Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  29/JUN/2007 1:34 PM
Assunto:  Verbos frasais distanciáveis até que ponto?

Mensagem: 

You're asking how deep the ocean is.  No native speaker I've ever met walks around with a list in his pocket of phrasal verbs and the acceptable number of words between the verb and the preposition.

I am going write some names down.  I am going to write down some names.  Either is acceptable.  As for preferences, I prefer lemon merengue pie but I'll eat just about anything you set down within my reach.  The preferences people have voiced to you are akin to "coffee and milk" or "milk and coffee".  Don't lose sleep over these things.  The world has bigger problems,  

Where you will run into trouble is when there is an abnormal distance between the verb and the preposition.   You should not be saying, for example, "I am going write some names on a notebook given to me by my uncle who owns a store in San Francisco and was robbed the afternoon of his son's birthday party at his cousin's house down."  No, I wouldn't recommend that.

Things must be really slow at the office, huh?

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Verbos frasais distanciáveis até que ponto?  –  Márcio Farias  29/JUN/2007, 9:34 AM
 Verbos frasais distanciáveis até que ponto?  –  Dale/CR  29/JUN/2007, 1:34 PM
Verbos frasais distanciáveis até que ponto?  –  Johannes  29/JUN/2007, 5:03 PM
Verbos frasais distanciáveis até que ponto?  –  Dale/CR  29/JUN/2007, 6:22 PM
Verbos frasais distanciáveis até que ponto?  –  Márcio Farias  29/JUN/2007, 9:32 PM
Thank you note  –  Márcio Farias  29/JUN/2007, 9:23 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K