[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Márcio Farias
E-mail:  marcio_osorio@oi.com.br
Data:  25/JUL/2007 6:27 PM
Assunto:  Fred Thompson "Shakes Up" Campaign Staff

Mensagem:  Dale, no, I would not have known unless you told me, which you did. So new word for me. Thank you.

Anyway, talk about shake down. One of my former bosses used to do business in a rather dishonest or illegal manner. He together with all four of his business partners used to make "adjustments" (striking quick deals) on the basis the seller as well as the buyer all benefited from it. I thought I could employ the compound word shakedown to describe their scheme. But no, shakedown involves extortion of a more violent order. They, in fact, often resorted to rackets and over-invoicing, for example, 10,000 non-reusable syringe needles for peanuts, 10% of which value they'd glady pocket for themselves.

Anyway ever since I moved from Piedade to Boa Viagem I have slept on the bare mattress on the bedroom floor. I think you would have called it a "shakedown." A fully assembled single bed does not fit in my ridiculously small bedroom.

Até logo.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Fred Thompson "Shakes Up" Campaign Staff  –  Márcio Farias  24/JUL/2007, 10:50 PM
Fred Thompson "Shakes Up" Campaign Staff  –  Dale/CR  25/JUL/2007, 1:11 AM
 Fred Thompson "Shakes Up" Campaign Staff  –  Márcio Farias  25/JUL/2007, 6:27 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K