PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  02/AGO/2007 1:34 PM
Assunto:  porte de arma

Mensagem: 

porte de arma

In the USA, gun laws vary from state to state, county to county, and city to city.  As a general rule, no license or permit is required to own or possess a firearm unless it is carried concealed upon the person or loaded (concealed or not) in a vehicle.  We could be here all day talking about the exceptions, but I am giving the general rule.  Obtaining a concealed weapon permit (CWP) can be impossible, somewhat difficult, or rather easy.  It depends on local laws.  In Oregon, they are relatively easy to get and are quite common.  In Los Angeles (where I once lived) they are almost impossible to obtain.  An hour away, they can be obtained with some difficulty. 

cordilheira...(like cordilheira dos Andes)

In speaking of Latin America, I've often heard "sierra" or "cordillera" when talking about mountains.  You will also hear "mountain range".  This refers to many mountains that are more or less parallel, that a in more or less the same general line.  "The mountain range found in Tibet is called The Himalayas."  The main mountain range or chain in California is called "the Sierra Nevada".  It's commonly referred to as "the Sierras" or "the High Sierras".

serra..(like Serra do Mar  -SP)

Probably the best term is merely "mountain" or "mountains":  the San Bernardino Mountains, the San Gabriel Mountains, the Siskiyous, the Padres, the Supersitions, etc.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
porte de arma  –  student  02/AGO/2007, 11:08 AM
porte de arma  –  Márcio Farias  02/AGO/2007, 1:15 PM
 porte de arma  –  Dale/CR  02/AGO/2007, 1:34 PM
porte de arma  –  luis augusto  02/AGO/2007, 9:03 PM
porte de arma  –  Dale/CR  02/AGO/2007, 9:22 PM
EMB in RS  –  luis augusto  03/AGO/2007, 12:36 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K