[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Márcio Farias
E-mail:  marcio_osorio@oi.com.br
Data:  07/AGO/2007 9:29 PM
Assunto:  With or without "that"

Mensagem:  Hello.  On the subject bartleby.com advances the following snippet of text.

"You can omit that in a relative clause when the subject of the clause is different from the word or phrase the clause refers to. Thus, you can say either the book that I was reading or the book I was reading. You can also omit that when it introduces a subordinate clause: I think we should try again. You should not omit that, however, when the subordinate clause begins with an adverbial phrase or anything other than the subject: She said that under no circumstances would she allow us to skip the meeting. The book argues that eventually the housing supply will increase. This last sentence would be ambiguous if that were omitted, since the adverb eventually could then be construed as modifying either argues or will increase."
[http://www.bartleby.com/64/C001/062.html]

Compare:

a) The book argues that eventually highly intelligent machines will rule the world.

b) The book argues eventually highly...

a will read better than b. You will get the hang of it in due time; you'll know when a that goes in there and when it doesn't. Right now you don't, do you?

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
With or without "that"  –  André SR  07/AGO/2007, 5:03 PM
With or without   –  luis augusto  07/AGO/2007, 5:54 PM
 With or without "that"  –  Márcio Farias  07/AGO/2007, 9:29 PM
With or without "that"  –  André SR  08/AGO/2007, 1:58 PM
With or without "that"  –  Márcio Farias  09/AGO/2007, 10:46 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K