ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  08/AGO/2007 10:50 AM
Assunto:  "como diriam os americanos"

Mensagem: 

Mexico wasn't forgotten. I was thinking "Anglo-Saxan America" but writted "of North", the Mexicans are in "Latin America", this I'm sorry for. (can I use this?) Of course, in Guiana they speaks English and Canadians French too, that is a Latin Language, one more time, who are we to change what the History dids?

I made a few changes:

Mexico wasn't forgotten. I was thinking "Anglo-Saxon America" but wrote  "of North", the Mexicans are in "Latin America", for this I'm sorry. (can I use this?) Of course, in Guiana they speak English and Canadians French too, that is a Latin Language, one more time, who are we to change what the History did?

We have some problems with what we call the USA.  The USA is an incredible mixture of races.  We can't call it "Ango-Saxon America" because that is just one of many ethnic groups.  As you point out, English is spoken in Canada, the USA, and British Guyana.  Then...?  There are places in the USA (particularly around New Orleans) where French has been spoken for centuries.  Well, that can be said of Spanish too.  (The Spanish spoken there is rather interesting.  Some of the words have meanings quite different from anything I've heard in Mexico and elsewhere.  A "guajalote", for example, is a water snake.  In Mexico, a "guajalote" is a turkey.  The names of vegetables were quite different.)  I visited cousins in the small town of San Luis, Colorado.  The town has existed since about 1610, and everyone speaks Spanish.  Many years ago I read an article about a Spanish priest living in the state of New Mexico.  He wrote that the Spanish used in that area was the same as he found in literature from the 1600s.  It hadn't changed.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
"como diriam os americanos"  –  Marceu  06/AGO/2007, 6:47 PM
"americanos"  –  luis augusto  06/AGO/2007, 7:44 PM
"americanos"  –  Deivis  06/AGO/2007, 8:54 PM
they said?  –  luis augusto  06/AGO/2007, 9:01 PM
"como diriam os americanos"  –  Dale/CR  06/AGO/2007, 9:23 PM
"como diriam os americanos"  –  luis augusto guimarães  07/AGO/2007, 12:32 PM
 "como diriam os americanos"  –  Dale/CR  08/AGO/2007, 10:50 AM
"como diriam os americanos"  –  luis augusto  09/AGO/2007, 7:29 PM
"como diriam os americanos"  –  stella  09/AGO/2007, 12:13 PM