LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  10/AGO/2007 6:15 PM
Assunto:  The meaning of jacks and uno cards

Mensagem: 

4.  jacks and uno cards   por Dale/CR às 13/MAI/2007, 2:17 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_2964_play-jacks.html

The above website will show you what jacks look like and how to play the game.  Have fun!

5.  jacks and uno cards   por Dale/CR às 13/MAI/2007, 1:03 PM
"Jacks" are small metal objects used in a child's game.  (They resemble somewhat a device used by bandits who are avoiding being chased by police cars.  As I recall, the object is called a "miguelito", but I may be wrong.  Jacks are much smaller, perhaps 1 cm wide.  And they will not hurt your fingers when you pick them up.)  The child bounces a ball and, while the ball is in the air, picks up the metal objects.  No, I don't remember the rules.  Garoto que eh garoto doesn't play jacks; he plays football, cowboys and Indians, spin-the-bottle, or something else that will teach lessons of life.  Jacks is for girls.

Uno is a card game that is popular with children.  (Don't tell anyone, but I've played it and had fun.)  It's impossible to play without yelling, screaming, laughing, and having a good time.  It requires a special deck.  Several years ago, quite a few kids came to my home with their parents.  They were b-o-r-e-d.  I asked if they wanted to play Uno.  They had never played it before.  They were polite, but it was clear they had no interest in the game.  I explained the rules, the game started, and within a few moments the kids were having a terrific time and the adults wanted to play too!

I used to play another card game, but I don't remember its name.  Perhaps it was "Corner".  Again, a special deck was required.  The cards have points, some high and some low.  You try to get rid of your "bad cards" while trying to get "good cards".  It's a very noisy, fast game.  Lots of fun.  I don't remember seeing children play it, but adults certainly played the game.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
The meaning of jacks and uno cards  –  Gabi  10/AGO/2007, 1:12 PM
 The meaning of jacks and uno cards  –  Dale/CR  10/AGO/2007, 6:15 PM
The meaning of jacks and uno cards  –  Gabi  10/AGO/2007, 7:41 PM
The meaning of jacks and uno cards  –  Dale/CR  10/AGO/2007, 9:43 PM
The meaning of jacks and uno cards  –  Gabi  10/AGO/2007, 10:59 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K