PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Deivis
E-mail:  deivis_fsilva@yahoo.com.br
Data:  14/AGO/2007 11:28 PM
Assunto:  Learning plateau.

Mensagem: 

"One swallow does not make a summer."

I really relished reading this expression in your post since It reminded me of an episode of my journey as an EFL student... About four years ago, though I'd just started studying English I was that kind of gung-ho, enthusiastic estudent who used to take note of every single thing I'd come across.      

One day I saw this expression in a pretty old book and quickly jotted it down in my notebook..The other day..after having searched my dictionaries, as soon as I saw my boring English teacher, without hesitating..even out of context.. I said the expression and awaited his reaction. Up to this moment I figure whether he already knew it or just beated around the bush.... Let me try to paraphrase his words to me:

"Deivis, how many times do I have to tell that it's useles trying to memorize these kind of phrases, first things first; we are learning irregular verbs at the moment..this is putting the cart before the horses, buddy..plus, I believe this expression must be old-fashionable, those we may see once in blue moon" 

To tell the truth he was somewhat right ..apart from that day it's the first time I'm reading it again. However, Had I not learned it that time I'd surely had spent some time lookin' it up in a dictionary today..For that I assume having an inquiring mind right from the kick off pay dividends later on..What do you think? :)

I'd appreciate some proofreading, any sort of sugestion, correction and the like.......:)

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Learning plateau  –  Aman  12/AGO/2007, 1:02 AM
Learning plateau  –  PPAULO  12/AGO/2007, 9:47 AM
Learning plateau  –  PPAULO  12/AGO/2007, 9:56 AM
Learning plateau  –  PPAULO  12/AGO/2007, 10:03 AM
Learning plateau  –  Aman  12/AGO/2007, 10:50 AM
Learning plateau  –  PPAULO  12/AGO/2007, 1:11 PM
Learning plateau  –  PPAULO  12/AGO/2007, 1:14 PM
Learning plateau  –  Aman  12/AGO/2007, 4:46 PM
Learning plateau  –  Deivis  12/AGO/2007, 9:18 PM