ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  16/AGO/2007 2:21 PM
Assunto:  To: Márcio - Not escaping for obscure English

Mensagem: 

Usually, Marcio's English is quite good.  Once in a while I he leaves me scratching my head, but that happens to everyone.  At lunch about a year ago I made a comment about something.  I don't recall what it was, but I thought it was quite clever.  A lady turned to her son and asked, "Pode traduzir?"  That would have been fine, but I thought I had made the comment in Portuguese!  I guess she wanted a translation from the Portuguese I spoke to the Portuguese she understood.  It was funny, and I learned from the experience.

I don't recall his name, but some time ago we had a fellow how loved to use big words in his posts.  Most people seemed quite impressed.  Frankly, I couldn't understand him.  If something isn't clear, it's not clear.  If it's not clear, the biggest dictionary in the world isn't going to help. 

In many ways, the Forum reminds me of asking for directions in Brazil.  Everyone wants to help with advice, but the trick is finding the person who knows how to get where you are going.  Readers need a "bullshit filter" to separate the good information from the misinformation.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
O debate se debate em vão  –  Márcio Farias  15/AGO/2007, 3:48 PM
O debate se debate em vão  –  PPAULO  15/AGO/2007, 11:40 PM
To: Marcio  –  Deivis  16/AGO/2007, 1:39 AM
Not escaping for obscure English  –  Márcio Farias  16/AGO/2007, 10:27 AM
To: Márcio - Not escaping for obscure English  –  André SR  16/AGO/2007, 12:00 PM
To: Márcio - Not escaping for obscure English  –  Márcio Farias  16/AGO/2007, 1:32 PM
 To: Márcio - Not escaping for obscure English  –  Dale/CR  16/AGO/2007, 2:21 PM
To: Márcio - Not escaping for obscure English  –  Johannes  16/AGO/2007, 6:19 PM
To: Márcio - Not escaping for obscure English  –  Márcio Farias  17/AGO/2007, 8:59 AM
To: Márcio - Not escaping for obscure English  –  André SR  17/AGO/2007, 10:13 AM
To: Márcio - Not escaping for obscure English  –  Márcio Farias  17/AGO/2007, 10:33 AM
To: Márcio - Not escaping for obscure English  –  Dale/CR  17/AGO/2007, 2:33 PM
To: Márcio - Not escaping for obscure English  –  Márcio Farias  17/AGO/2007, 10:11 PM
O debate se debate em vão  –  Márcio Farias  21/AGO/2007, 8:59 PM
O debate se debate em vão  –  PPAULO  27/AGO/2007, 10:23 PM
O debate se debate em vão  –  PPAULO  28/AGO/2007, 9:27 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K