ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  m rob
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  24/AGO/2007 3:03 AM
Assunto:  Suffix -ish

Mensagem: 

"I'll meet you there 7-ish." “I’ll meet you around 7” “near enough to 7 but not 7 precisely”

the ‘–ish’ suffix is often used as a way of adding imprecision, vagueness, subtlety to a concept expressed by a word.

There are some words like “peckish”, where the –ish suffix has really become part of the word (“I feel a bit peckish”; “I feel a bit hungry/like having something to eat”) from “to peck” (eat like a bird, like a chicken).

I suppose there is an element of politeness / psychological distance added by the ‘–ish’ suffix because it softens (an often negative / pejorative) statement by making it less direct – it is, I suppose, a rhetorical device, which may allow you to say something (without actually saying it!)

To get your point across – without appearing too forthright in your opinion.

There are many examples  -  though I can’t think of any right now

With the example "ESL-ish"  - I suppose this would carry a negative connotation about the style of language employed - but it's a bit difficult to say without a context

There will also be other aspects to the meaning use of the ‘–ish’ suffix which I have not covered in the brief  and rapidly prepared 'starting point' discussion above

Good luck in improving your understanding and may the "-ish" thread develop with constructive information about this verbal wonder of English! (no '-ish' suffix there though!)

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Suffix -ish  –  Sidney  24/AGO/2007, 2:20 AM
 Suffix -ish  –  m rob  24/AGO/2007, 3:03 AM
Suffix -ish  –  Sidney  24/AGO/2007, 5:40 PM
Suffix -ish  –  Márcio Farias  24/AGO/2007, 9:58 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K