ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Márcio Farias
E-mail:  marcio_osorio@oi.com.br
Data:  24/AGO/2007 11:06 PM
Assunto:  Vocabulary

Mensagem: 

Há alguma diferença de significado ou quantidade entre plenty of e several???

Qual a diferença entre pop in e pop out?

Plenty of, a rather informal expression meaning "enough and more," appears mostly before singular uncountables and plurals. You cannot use it interchangeably with several. You use several with countables. Like this:

X had several uncles = X had more than two, yet fewer than many, uncles. As far as my ESL mind can reason, had X over 200 uncles actually alive and kicking, then I'd say, "Wow, X! You have a lot of uncles!"

Several men watched several girls strut and prance around. Try using Plenty of men watched plenty of... here and you'll soon discover a lot of native speakers of English frowning upon it.

So you use several for countables in a rather formal way; you use plenty of for uncountables usually in a rather informal way.

X found plenty of time to watch several of the girls strutting and prancing down main street (for the benefit of anyone who cared to notice). You can count girls here all right; you cannot count time, though. You can count all the smashed bottles of milk as several of them fall down on the floor, but you cannot count the spilled milk. You can see plenty of the milk spilled, though.

"You pop in somewhere. or you pop into a place, when you go in for a short while, usually without arraging to do so beforehand."[1]

Well, uncle X popped in the other day just to say he didn't know why he had done so.

Popping out implies a sudden, quick or unexpected coming out of a place or situation.

"These guys popped out from around the corner and the next minute I knew, they had a .45 caliber gun on my face."

"Asteroid popped out of nowhere and crashed nearby."

Other suggestions forthcoming.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Vocabulary  –  Curupira  24/AGO/2007, 10:40 AM
 Vocabulary  –  Márcio Farias  24/AGO/2007, 11:06 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K