ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  30/SET/2007 6:29 PM
Assunto:  pergunta "yours eveR".

Mensagem: 

We do could have "yours ever" in place of yours faithfully/sincerelyy and so on.

However, it´s not a ordinary use, but who said that e-mail lingo toe the line of regular patterns?

Just in case, it´s better use the consecrated-by-use forms. It´s not phroibited innovate provided that makes sense.

Ah, it´s not YOURS EVEN  but  YOURS EVER indeed.

So it´s my two-pence worth of information.

++++++++++

Take a look

www.englishforums.com/English/YoursFaithfullyYoursSincerely/7/bgw/Post.htm

Re: When to use 'Your Sincerely, Faithfully, or Thanks'

Goldmund,
-I suppose you could gradually ease them into new ways if they are receptive to it and if they like you, but it's always best to tread carefully. As a former employer myself I preferred employees who toed the company line, although I was always open to suggestions. I would not have taken kindly to someone changing the status quo without my permission.

-Dear Tallulah Tam,There are many ways to cook an egg, no? Kind regards, Goldmund
-Never heard that one before Goldmund. The one I have heard is "There are many ways to skin a cat".

-And how many ways to skin an egg?

-I notice there's a new book out, on the subject: "11 Arten ein Ei zu kochen".
One more, and it would have been an epic. (Book V: "the catalogue of tea-spoons".)

-It does not make sense to have two kinds of regards- best and worst. I cannot imagine why an assistant profesor might be called Mr. Best Regards, but if he is feel free to address him as such. I feel that English should not be abused for emails, but there are those that differ. Normally one would wait for or await replies.

-After writing to Tony Blair for the Make Poverty History campaign I was amused by his 3rd way.
Yours Ever, Tony.
So if its good enough for the PM maybe people would like to use that to avoid all the confusion.

-What about,
Yours Ever So..............?
As was pointed out " yours faithfully " is out of style but it still is in use especially in British English. However, as was also pointed out, there are alternatives that are used in both British and American (North American) English.
1. More formal --- Sincerely yours, Yours sincerely, or even just Sincerely
2. less formal--- Sincerely, Kind/Best/Warm regards, Regards, *Best wishes
3. informal --- Best (wishes), Regards, * Just write your name *, See you, Thanks, etc., etc.

As nobody has mentioned it previously, i thought i'd just say that "Yours Sincerely" is used informally and "Yours faithfully" is used on things such as formal business letters. Please note the case of the two phrases (capitalisation of the S or f) 

-Poppycock, Anon.
Your spelling suggests that you write British English; in which case:
"Yours sincerely" ends a letter that begins "Dear Mr/Mrs/Ms So-and-so".
"Yours faithfully" ends a letter that begins "Dear sir/madam".
Note the capitalisation.

-Passing American here.
Having spent most of my day today drafting business letters (dunning letters, actually), I can honestly say I have never closed a business letter with anything other than "Sincerely," In no way is this considered casual or informal in business use in the U.S.
I don't know that I have ever used "Yours truly," but I suppose I would use it in personal correspondence to someone I don't know well. For example, if a friend of a friend had hosted me on a visit, my "bread and butter note" might be closed that way. Since we are a shockingly casual race, we tend to end letters with things like "Thanks again," or "Looking forward to seeing you soon," and then signing our names.
Sometimes as I find myself typing "Sincerely" I have this passing fanciful notion that somewhere in a vault are all the letter that were written insincerely, but were not allowed to be sent out.

-Hello everyone, I found this site via google due to a debate with a colleague over the correct use of sincerely/faithfully in a letter
My argument is that when you dont know someone and wish to send them a formal letter, you end with 'yours sincerely' as its the initiation of correspondence and its to show you are sincere in your words and motives. Once they have replied and you write to them again then you have established a rapport with the person so therefore are faithful to them in your correspondence hence 'yours faithfully'
Other posts in this thread seem to argue the other side and therefore the majority disagrees with my reasoning. I guess im wrong then lol
But as someone pointed out, the english language has evolved as a result of constant change and revision, so hopefully people in future might agree that my logic on this is the most reasonable and the system will be inverted one day so that its finally correct!
Thanks

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
pergunta  –  Adriana Reis  30/SET/2007, 12:04 PM
pergunta "yours even".  –  PPAULO  30/SET/2007, 1:07 PM
pergunta "yours even".  –  Dale/CR  30/SET/2007, 1:26 PM
pergunta "yours even".  –  The real Alexandre  30/SET/2007, 5:25 PM
 pergunta "yours eveR".  –  PPAULO  30/SET/2007, 6:29 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K