Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  João Barros
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  02/JAN/2004 10:41 PM
Assunto:  Re: To Joao -Re: Aprender inglês leva tempo!

Mensagem:  Miguel, I think that because of the fact that in the continental U.S.A. there are many businesses and social services that caters directly to the Spanish-speaking communities, Spanish-speakers in the U.S. then tend to call on service providers who speak their language. Whereas brazilians feel pressurred for the fact that if you live in the U.s. and you don't speak English or Spanish in most of the United States you have to learn the new language - there's no choice. I personally have met many brazilians that have lived in the States for many years, and they sort of relied on a Portuguese-Spanish language mix we call "portunhol" in southern Brazil and they now, even after many years in the U.S., aren't able to carry even a simple conversation in English. That's my view on the issue why many Spanish-speaking immigrants or many hispanics that are born in the U.S. don't really have a sense of urgency or interest in mastering the English language. I was once in Orlando, FLA trying to learn English for a few weeks, and I would go to a mall called Bellz, and for my surprise English was spoken with a rather thick spanish accent for most of the mall employees. I went to the food-court and ordered a soda "in English". I asked 'May I have a soda, please'. The clerk who was in his teens and looked like he was an american replied 'la grande o la pequeña'. I once had an american express his frustations towards brazilians he met in the U.S. and as he approached those people and spoke in Spanish to them - Spanish he learned from his father who is an immigrant from Uruguay, and he also mastered the Spanish language spending many summers in Uruguay, and later he took more spanish at college - and he told me most brazilians would abruptly tell him 'I'm sorry but I don't speak Spanish, I only speak Portuguese and English'. I have had the same experience when americans in the U.S. have spoken to me in Spanish. Just because of my looks they assume I speak Spanish. In turn what I do is tell them in my 'broken' Spanish that my spanish is not that great, and that I understand it a lot better than I speak it, and I take the chance to thank them for the kindness. I think it's all about culture pluralism and politeness. I like what american author Stephen R. Covey says, "The world is not as it is, the world is as you see it". João Barros.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Aprender inglês leva tempo!  –  carmen  29/DEZ/2003, 6:20 PM
Re: Aprender inglês leva tempo!  –  Pedro J  30/DEZ/2003, 12:55 AM
Re: Aprender inglês leva tempo!  –  Vitor  30/DEZ/2003, 1:35 AM
Re: Aprender inglês leva tempo!  –  João Barros  30/DEZ/2003, 4:22 AM
To Joao -Re: Aprender inglês leva tempo!  –  Fabio  30/DEZ/2003, 12:11 PM
Re: To Joao -Re: Aprender inglês leva tempo!  –  João Barros  30/DEZ/2003, 4:02 PM
Re: To Joao -Re: Aprender inglês leva tempo!  –  Fabio  30/DEZ/2003, 4:25 PM
Re: To Joao -Re: Aprender inglês leva tempo!  –  Miguel Vieira  30/DEZ/2003, 6:05 PM
Re: To Joao -Re: Aprender inglês leva tempo!  –  Maria Valeska  31/DEZ/2003, 8:40 PM
Re: To Joao -Re: Aprender inglês leva tempo!  –  Miguel Vieira  02/JAN/2004, 5:44 PM
 Re: To Joao -Re: Aprender inglês leva tempo!  –  João Barros  02/JAN/2004, 10:41 PM
Re: To Joao -Re: Aprender inglês leva tempo!  –  Miguel Vieira  03/JAN/2004, 7:08 PM
Re: To Joao -Re: Aprender inglês leva tempo!  –  João Barros  03/JAN/2004, 8:20 PM
Re: To Joao -Re: Aprender inglês leva tempo!  –  Miguel Vieira  04/JAN/2004, 5:54 PM
Re: To Joao - Aprender inglês leva tempo!  –  Jason  13/AGO/2006, 10:48 AM
Re: Aprender inglês leva tempo!  –  Rui  30/DEZ/2003, 3:08 PM
Re: Aprender inglês leva tempo!  –  Rui  30/DEZ/2003, 3:17 PM
Re: Aprender inglês leva tempo!  –  Rui  30/DEZ/2003, 3:21 PM
Re: Aprender inglês leva tempo!  –  Mirela  30/DEZ/2003, 3:56 PM
Re: p/ Rui completando msg anterior  –  Mirela  30/DEZ/2003, 4:00 PM
Re: p/ Rui completando msg anterior  –  Rui  30/DEZ/2003, 4:56 PM
Re: p/ Rui completando msg anterior  –  Mirela  30/DEZ/2003, 10:21 PM
Para o Rui- Re: Aprender inglês leva tempo!  –  Vitor  31/DEZ/2003, 2:30 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K