PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  03/DEZ/2007 5:12 PM
Assunto:  Take obj with one home vs. take obj home with one

Mensagem: 

A. "X, you can take it with you home."

The word order is whack.  "Home" sounds out of place at the end of the sentence.

B. "X, you can take it home with you."

Fine.  There is no need I can think of, however, for "with you".  How else would X take it home?  Is he going to take it home with Fred?

C.  "X, you can take it home."

Fine.  Simple, direct, clear, concise.

D. "X, you can take it along with you home."

As in Sentence A, the word order is off.  I would accept:

a) You can take it.

b) You can take it home.

c) You can take it along.  ("Along" does not add anything to the sentence.  )

d) You can take it with you.  ("with you" adds nothing to the sentence.)

"Along" is certainly heard in colloquial English.  Often it simply has no translation, and often there is no need to say it.  "I'm going along with Bill."  Why say "along"?  How does "along" make the sentence clearer?  How is "I'm going along with Bill" different from "I'm going with Bill"?  If there is no difference, then maybe it's not needed and shouldn't be in the sentence. 

As a rule of thumb, keep your sentences in English short and to the point.  Avoid unnecessary words.  A long sentence in English is seen negatively, not as a sign that the writer has talent or intelligence.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Take+obj+with+one+home vs. take+obj+home+with+one  –  Márcio Farias  03/DEZ/2007, 4:10 PM
 Take obj with one home vs. take obj home with one  –  Dale/CR  03/DEZ/2007, 5:12 PM
Take obj with one home vs. take obj home with one  –  Márcio Farias  03/DEZ/2007, 6:51 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K