ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  20/DEZ/2007 10:33 PM
Assunto:  cobrança

Mensagem: 

Yes Dale in Portuguese there is that concept for "cobrar", I mean, the one I gave the example.  There is another for "cobrar"; that one in which you do something that you no longer need. For instance, you win the lottery you have the bucks so you no longer need work or study hard (in theory, of course) but you "se cobra" do these things.

Another case would be the guy that lives 50 meters from your work; but he succumbs the peer pressure from his colleagues, he go by car every day despite of knowing that he don´t need.

In all examples that I gave, the core is, a person feel "compulsed" to do something that is needless;  he knows that shall not do but to exculpate him/herself (the case of the mother and the guy envolved in the car accident or someone that shot your best friend by accident, for instance)...or because he/she oblige him/herself wether by peer pressure or not do something that knows it is not necessary.

I think that the term that fits in English "be hard on yourself", Andressa; I don´t see another word for it, for the time being.

And Dale, don´t sweat this small stuff.    Now that you know that in Portuguese there are these two concepts for "cobrar", kill a six-pack or fix a coffee, or a natural juice (in natura) who knows?

See you again.

PP

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
cobrança  –  andressa  17/DEZ/2007, 4:17 PM
cobrança  –  Dale  17/DEZ/2007, 5:18 PM
cobrança  –  Josi  17/DEZ/2007, 8:41 PM
cobrança  –  Dale/CR  18/DEZ/2007, 12:12 AM
cobrança  –  PPAULO  19/DEZ/2007, 2:02 AM
cobrança  –  Dale/CR  19/DEZ/2007, 3:05 AM
 cobrança  –  PPAULO  20/DEZ/2007, 10:33 PM