[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  15/ABR/2008 12:00 PM
Assunto:  A capital de Portugal é Luis Boa

Mensagem:  I'll never forget being a passenger in a car riven by a friend in Pocos de Caldas.  After driving through several posted stops, I asked if she wasn't afraid she was going to be fined.  She wasn't and added that it wasn't necessary to stop!  I asked why did bother to have the signs.  "Well," she said, "they are there to show that it's okay to stop, if you want to." 

In Curitiba people told of getting their first licenses over the phone.  Over the phone.

In Curitiba I was crossing a street with the green light and in a crosswalk.  A car approached from behind me and turned left in front of me so close that it struck my cane, knocking it out of my hand. 

Here in Costa Rica a cab driver got upset with some pedestrians trying to cross the street.  He angrily told me that schools should teach people how to cross the street safely.  I asked, "And how is that done?"  He thought about it for a minute and agreed there was no safe way to cross a street here.  Crosswalks are very rare here and aren't respected by drivers anyway. 

People are so used to doing as the please without any regard for others that I can't see the laws ever changing.  There is simply no concern for others.  Spend an hour or two pretending you must use a wheelchair or a cane, and you'll see what I mean.  Have you been in the Recoletos bus station in Buenos Aires?  If you're on the ground or first floor and want to use the elevator, you must find a way to get to the second floor to get a key.  If you can find a way to get to the second floor to get a key, you don't need to use the elevator.  Don't the architects have grandparents or an elderly aunt who is handicapped?  It would be nice if people were able to think beyond themselves, to put themselves in the shoes of others.   

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Carta de moto  –  Noelle  13/ABR/2008, 11:11 PM
Carta de moto  –  Dale/CR  14/ABR/2008, 12:39 AM
DETRAN - Every state has a different one?  –  Márcio Farias  14/ABR/2008, 9:05 AM
DETRAN - Every state has a different one?  –  Dale/CR  14/ABR/2008, 11:13 AM
Driving in the States  –  Johannes  14/ABR/2008, 11:48 AM
Driving in the States  –  Dale/CR  14/ABR/2008, 2:08 PM
Horning your way through and around  –  Márcio Farias  14/ABR/2008, 2:37 PM
Horning your way through and around  –  Dale/CR  14/ABR/2008, 4:35 PM
Horning your way through and around  –  Johannes  15/ABR/2008, 5:38 AM
Horning your way through and around  –  Dale/CR  15/ABR/2008, 11:14 AM
A capital de Portugal é Luis Boa  –  Márcio Farias  15/ABR/2008, 8:06 AM
A capital de Portugal é Luis Boa  –  Jo  15/ABR/2008, 9:19 AM
 A capital de Portugal é Luis Boa  –  Dale/CR  15/ABR/2008, 12:00 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K