[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  15/ABR/2008 1:33 PM
Assunto:  to Dale

Mensagem:  Sarah, English definitely has words that are fine for "Situation A" but not for "Situation B". 

Several years ago, I was a "Conversation Partner" at the University of California - Riverside.  In the volunteer program, native speakers were matched with English learners who wanted to practice conversation.  I had a lovely Korean girl as a partner one semester.  Her English (grammar, pronunciation, and vocabulary) was quite good.  Her big problem was that she could not understand when a word was acceptable and when it wasn't.  If she heard it on TV, she believed, then it had to be okay.  Well, not always...  She told a professor, for example, "I really f-cked up on the test."  I can't imagine a worse thing to tell a professor or anyone else for whom some respect should be shown.  If she had said it to a girlfriend, fine.  Yes, a little "strong", but...  She was a doll, but she talked like a sailor.  She simply couldn't separate foul language from language appropriate for most situations.

Obviously, this is not going to be a problem for you.  Congratulations! 

Um dia deste vou te falar sobre algumas das burrices que ja cometi em portugues.  E sigo cometendo! 

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
to Dale  –  sarah lima  15/ABR/2008, 1:00 PM
 to Dale  –  Dale/CR  15/ABR/2008, 1:33 PM
to Dale  –  renan  15/ABR/2008, 2:40 PM
to Dale  –  Dale/CR  15/ABR/2008, 4:10 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K