[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  26/ABR/2008 1:44 PM
Assunto:  Down by the river

Mensagem:  Pat, in California we'd have no idea what you were talking about.  An interesting post.

It struck me this morning that in California (at least where I lived) we use "up" and "down" even for short distances, but "back" is used only for long distances.  If you are in Los Angeles, for example, you tell people you are driving down to San Diego but up to Santa Barbara.  Even if only going 20-30 miles, the addition of "up" or "down" wouldn't be unusual.  You probably wouldn't use "back" to describe going to Arizona, but you might use it if talking about New Mexico and you'd definitely use it if talking about New England.  Since about the only things to the west are Hawaii and Japan, "out" wouldn't normally be heard if you are talking about going west.

I last lived in California in the San Bernardino Mountains just above the city of San Bernardino.  There "on the hill" meant "local".  (Jack is on the hill.)  "Down the hill" or "off the hill" meant "away, not home".  (I have to go down the hill tomorrow to see the doctor.  Frank will be off the hill until Sunday night.) 

These little things really stand out in a conversation.  Oh, another expression is "MM".  It means "Mountain mentality".  In "MM", if a mechanic promised to have your car repaired "right away" or the road maintenance people said they would plow your road "immediately", it usually meant "three weeks".  I never saw it, but I strongly suspect that even firemen there stop for coffee on their way to a blaze.  MM. 

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Down by the river   –  Angella  25/ABR/2008, 12:39 PM
Down by the river   –  Márcio Farias  25/ABR/2008, 12:55 PM
Down by the river   –  Dale/CR  25/ABR/2008, 12:59 PM
Down by the river   –  pat  26/ABR/2008, 10:38 AM
 Down by the river   –  Dale/CR  26/ABR/2008, 1:44 PM
Down by the river   –  Cleber  25/ABR/2008, 2:07 PM
Down by the river   –  Breckenfeld  25/ABR/2008, 2:41 PM
Down by the river   –  LIMA  25/ABR/2008, 3:16 PM
Down by the river   –  “Down by the River”  25/ABR/2008, 7:36 PM