[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Miguel Vieira
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  16/DEZ/2002 7:44 PM
Assunto:  Language authority

Mensagem:  Dear Jose Roberto, I was reading your reply to Pat Brown and I happened to see that you pointed that I once told you that no institution has absolute authority as to the normalization of the English language. Well, while this may indeed be true, I would like to add something else. The fact is, some institutions do in fact have some authority in regards to the concept of "English normalization". However, their authority is only absolute when it comes to Academic English. For instance, the Modern Language Association (MLA) sets the standarts for English Academic writing. Any other form or style that is contrary to the MLA's is usually firmly condemned by educators from elementary school through college. Nonetheless, in non-academic domains, English is used most of the time irrespectively as to what the MLA considers to be "correct" by members of all social classes. Moreover, as I also said in that reply, the people who control the media are the ones who usually set the stardard to be followed. [Note: They don't actually demand that the people speak and write in a certain way, they just have a huge influence] Cumprimentos, -Miguel Vieira

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 Language authority  –  Miguel Vieira  16/DEZ/2002, 7:44 PM
Re: Language authority  –  José Roberto  16/DEZ/2002, 10:09 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K