ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  06/JUN/2008 7:38 PM
Assunto:  Juvenil

Mensagem: 

Please, if juvenils means "jovens, adolecentes" and young, "jovem, juvenil", so what's the meaning of young juvenils?

(1) The word is juvenile, not juvenil. In my opinion, "young juvenile" is a redundant expression.  If all juveniles are young, why say "young juvenile"?  Are there "old juveniles"?  It's like saying "good war", "bad peace", "ugly mother-in-law", "dumb blonde", "wet water", etc.  LOL

What's the translation for: "Chief of Family Court for Chicago city's Law Department" ? (is it perhaps, "Chefe da vara/tribunal de família para o Departamento de Direito da cidade de Chicago" ?) Vara in English is also "Court" ?(I couldn't find this word in my dictionary)

(2) Your translation looks good to me.  I haven't seen the expression "chief" used like that, but I assume it means the top/senior judge of a court with several judges. 

A "family court" deals with problems between parents and children, especially problems related to child support.  I believe that adoptions also go through this court.  A "juvenile court", on the other hand, deals with juveniles and their problems that are for the most part unrelated to family members.  Perhaps the juvenile refuses to attend school, has left the home and is without adult supervision, etc.  Or the juvenile could be doing things that would be crimes if committed by adults.  Let's a 16 year-old finds a parked car, breaks into it, and takes it without the owner's consent.  It's not a "true crime" because of the age of the offender.  The theory is that the culprit is too young to understand the consequences and seriousness of his act.  Are there exceptions?  There sure are.  If the crime is extremely serious (such as murder, kidnapping, etc.), it may be decided to try the juvenile as an adult.  I've worked a few times and very briefly in a juvenile court, and I found it a terrible place to be.  

"Vara", as I understand the term, refers to a geographic district served by a court.  Is that correct?  If it is, I would use "district" and not "court" to describe the sphere of influence in the USA.  "Jurisdiction" refers to the authority of a court (or police agency) within such a district. 

And "referrals"?

(3) A "referral" can be the act of referring someone or someone who has been referred.  Let's say that a defendant before the court appears to have emotional or mental problems.  The judge/court may refer the defendant (make a referral) to a mental health agency prior to continuing with the criminal case.  The defendant reports to a psychologist as a "court referral".

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Juvenil  –  Anita  06/JUN/2008, 12:49 PM
 Juvenil  –  Dale/CR  06/JUN/2008, 7:38 PM
Juvenil  –  Anita  06/JUN/2008, 7:53 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K