ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  José Roberto
E-mail:  josezambon@terra.com.br
Data:  07/JUN/2008 9:58 PM
Assunto:  ING form

Mensagem: 

Morphologically (i.e. The way words are formed, not concerning their function within a sentence) speding is the -ing form of the verb for it comes from a verb – there might be some exceptions due to historical aspects (from the top of myu head I can think of during but only because it ends in -ing it does not mean it belong to the same category as spending).

Now, syntactically (i.e the way words are arranged and their function within a sentence) spending is a noun in a sentence like the speding of the company for as Quirk's pointed out, before spending one can have a modifier like the, some, this etc.

An interpretation out of the bat; keep demands a noun like in keep the faith or a verb in the ing form, like in he kept going, here I guess one can't have *he kept the going, clearly going is a verb.

Now, in the government can keep spending in check,   I guess we have a verb just because there's no noun modifier (the,a(n),this,that...) before it, adding the the-thing the syntactic function of the word becomes noun (morphology is one universe and the syntactic function of the word is another they may coincide or not.)

Source: Introduction to the English Grammar, Rodney Huddleston, CUP 1984.

JR    

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Is it a verb or a noun?  –  Jazz  05/JUN/2008, 10:38 AM
is it a verb or a noun?  –  Johannes  05/JUN/2008, 10:48 AM
is it a verb or a noun?  –  Jazz  05/JUN/2008, 7:29 PM
verb or noun?  –  Quirk 'ing'  05/JUN/2008, 8:13 PM
gerund vs pres. participle?  –  Jazz  05/JUN/2008, 11:21 PM
ING form  –  upside down  07/JUN/2008, 7:49 PM
 ING form  –  José Roberto  07/JUN/2008, 9:58 PM
To upside down  –   renan  07/JUN/2008, 11:13 PM