[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  25/JUN/2008 9:55 PM
Assunto:  Re: On exaggeration...and other Brazilian features

Mensagem:     To shorten the story, people change all the time, disregarding language.
   I advocate the culture thing as the main factor.
   For example, I myself got "reminded" of manners in Rio [Niteroi], and by the guy that collect fares (cobrador, I mean). 

Example of an exchange:
   -Esse ônibus passa no bairro tal..?
   -Bom dia! (?)             [cobrador]
   -Bom dia (ora bolas, como fui esquecer disso? que mico!) passa no bairro tal?

-Quanto é a passagem para...?
   -Boa tarde!  [cobrador]
   -Boa tarde  [putzz, esqueci de novo! ]  boa tarde, quanto é a passagem mesmo?

In Rio [city, not the state], the other side of the bay, don´t ever expect bus´ guys ask you that, if you say "bom dia" "boa tarde" etc, you likely will be simply ignored; he will give you the change  and  period, nothing more [you won´t be asked to, either.  Only in a blue moon that will happen]

Of course it is a pro-forma convention, indeed the person in case won´t be interested in a further chat or something like this. He won´t be more  courteous because you spoke that.
   On the other hand, you will be in other states where people don´t stick to such social rule, but will give all ears and attention.

Other example:
   When I first came to Rio, nineteen years ago, I said "bom dia"  "boa tarde" "boa noite" in a crowded elevator (lift) and no answer came, never.  Everybody dead-tired got in a dead silence.
   So, somewhere in life I did the same; got the elevator quietly and talked to no one.
   With time, I got sick of talking to the elevator´s  walls.

It´s not a case of language, but you meeting different ways of life (it happens that you may be in another country, and people around speak another language).

======================
   Ah, about exaggeration.
   When I was a teen, I dated a number of girlfriends that said "I love you more than everything in the world" or "Please, please, don´t go.   If you go, I´ll die..." and things like that.  The next day I was dumped, I got the kick in the ass, LOL.
   So, they exaggerated a lot.   You know it´s a teen feature.
   What I mean is, people can talk and express  in a way depending of the stage in
 which they are, on the neighborhood, on the city, on the climate, on wether they have pets, on their circle of friends, on socio-cultural factors, on their interests and so on.
   Many factors, then.   Language is only one of them (it happens that, the majority of people learning English are better-off, so they have acces to plenty of information, and other resources at home).  So, they would change  anyway, learning English or not.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Quem fala mais de um idioma muda...  –  Márcio Farias  25/JUN/2008, 2:41 AM
Quem fala mais de um idioma muda...  –  Dale/CR  25/JUN/2008, 3:07 AM
Quem fala mais de um idioma muda...  –  Joshua  25/JUN/2008, 7:25 AM
Quem fala mais de um idioma muda...  –  Márcio Farias  25/JUN/2008, 9:55 AM
Quem fala mais de um idioma muda...  –  Dale/CR  25/JUN/2008, 12:55 PM
Quem fala mais de um idioma muda...  –  Dale/CR  25/JUN/2008, 12:52 PM
Quem fala mais de um idioma muda...  –  Márcio Farias  25/JUN/2008, 8:54 AM
Quem fala mais de um idioma muda...  –  Sidney  25/JUN/2008, 9:47 AM
Quem fala mais de um idioma muda...  –  Dale/CR  25/JUN/2008, 1:36 PM
Quem fala mais de um idioma muda...  –  Sidney.  25/JUN/2008, 3:50 PM
Quem fala mais de um idioma muda...  –  Dale/CR  25/JUN/2008, 8:30 PM
Quem fala mais de um idioma muda...  –  Dale/CR  25/JUN/2008, 1:22 PM
Quem fala mais de um idioma muda...  –  Joshua  25/JUN/2008, 2:09 PM
Quem fala mais de um idioma muda...  –  Dale/CR  25/JUN/2008, 2:29 PM
 Re: On exaggeration...and other Brazilian features  –  PPAULO  25/JUN/2008, 9:55 PM
Re: On exaggeration...and other Brazilian features  –  PPAULO  25/JUN/2008, 10:21 PM
Of uneducated, non-saluting neighbors  –  Márcio Farias  25/JUN/2008, 10:48 PM
Of uneducated, non-saluting neighbors  –  Joshua  26/JUN/2008, 7:02 PM
Re: Of uneducated, non-saluting neighbors  –  PPAULO  26/JUN/2008, 10:43 PM
Sobre (ou sob) vizinhos e arrombadores  –  Márcio Farias  27/JUN/2008, 9:04 AM
Sobre (ou sob) vizinhos e arrombadores  –  PPAULO  26/JUN/2008, 11:14 PM
Sobre vizinhos que duelam  –  Márcio Farias  27/JUN/2008, 10:10 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K