[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  pat brown
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  17/DEZ/2002 8:17 PM
Assunto:  Re: To Pat Brown

Mensagem:  Caro Amigos, Por favor entende, eu nao tenho qualquer problema com estar corrigido por os Brasileiros - ao contrario - eh um ajudamento. (OK, I had better stop writing in Port. now before everyone starts correcting me! I think you all can read English more easily than I can express myself in Port....) It is probable that the reason Brazilians tend to correct people and Americans do not is a cultural difference. I find that Brazilians take great pleasure in being helpful - they are pleased to do what they can to help non-natives speak better Portuguese. It does become a hindrance when my helpers correct my trivial mistakes so often that they fail to follow the import of my message. On the other hand, Americans and English-speakers in general place great importance in the concept of "individualism" or "self-reliance", so much so that Americans will generally not offer help or advice unless it is expressly asked for. If we can possibly understand the meaning of what someone is trying to say, we are not likely to correct their mistakes for that reason. It is not a question of not wanting to be helpful, it is not wanting to offend someone's independence. Miguel, the Brazilians who tend to give me correction are from middle-class backgrounds in Brazil: accountants, teachers, managers, train-drivers, etc. Os Brasileiros quem eu encontro que sao de regaos rurales: trabalhadores agricultura primeiromente, nao falarao comigo mais nunca - infelizmante - porque eu tenha muito curiosodade sobre esses regaos. Ate mais

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
To Pat Brown  –  José Roberto  16/DEZ/2002, 6:05 PM
Re: To Pat Brown  –  pat brown  17/DEZ/2002, 1:50 AM
Re: To Pat Brown  –  José Roberto  17/DEZ/2002, 1:41 PM
Re: To Pat Brown  –  Daniel  17/DEZ/2002, 4:46 PM
Re: To Pat Brown  –  Miguel Vieira  17/DEZ/2002, 3:45 PM
 Re: To Pat Brown  –  pat brown  17/DEZ/2002, 8:17 PM
Re: To Pat Brown  –  orlando  18/DEZ/2002, 2:40 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K