ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  12/OUT/2008 1:20 AM
Assunto:  Re: What como sujeito da oração - para o Lil

Mensagem: 

To the crux of the matter; square one again.

See this, that I borrowed from BBC site.

I  hope this clarifies the DID part a little more, I recognize that it is an ample

issue that requires one search a little and get acquainted with verbs and his objects (or the lack of it )

BBC ASK_'What happened_VS_'What did happen'

Fatih from Turkey asks:
When I am listening to English speakers I often hear the expression 'What happened?' instead of 'What did happen?' Could you explain me the difference?

Hi Fatih!

Thanks for your question! To find out the answer, we need to understand the difference between subject questions (questions about the subject of a sentence) and object questions (questions about the object of a sentence).

Look at this sentence:
William Shakespeare wrote Hamlet.

A question about the object would be:        What did William Shakespeare write?

The answer – 'Hamlet' is the object of the verb write.

A question about the subject would be:
Who wrote Hamlet?

And the answer is 'William Shakespeare': the subject of the verb 'wrote'.

So when the question is about the object , we use an auxiliary verb and an infinitive:
What did William Shakespeare write ?

But when the question is about the subject, we use the verb in the correct tense without an auxiliary:
Who wrote Hamlet?

Now let's look at your examples:

What happened?
What did happen?

Is the word what asking a question about the subject or object of the verb happen? Let's imagine some possible answers to the question – using the verb happen, of course. Which ones are grammatically correct?

Something happened to me.
Nothing happened to them.
I happened something.
They happened nothing.
The first two are correct, of course. This means that we are asking a question about the subject of the sentence, so to make the correct question, we use the verb in the correct tense without an auxiliary: What happened?

The second example you give – What did happen? – is grammatically incorrect. However, if you are making a yes/no question, you need an auxiliary, so a yes/no question about the subject could be:

Did anything happen?
Did it happen to you?
Has anything happened yet?

But we would not normally say What did happen?

Thanks for your question, Fatih!

About Catherine Chapman
Catherine Chapman has a BA (hons) in Communication Studies, CTEFLA, DELTA and a Masters Degree in Educational Technology and English Language Teaching with Manchester University (UK). She has taught EFL, EAP and IT skills in several countries, worked in ELT management and has developed web-based ELT/EAP materials projects in institutions including Istanbul Technical University (Turkey) and Newcastle University (UK). She now works as an ELT Writer for BBC Learning English.

I sincerely expect it is clearer now.

But don´t worry if you don´t grasp the whole thing at first, we are here to this purpose. To help one another.

And we learn in the process, be sure.

No question is dull, when somebody has some doubt it´s a good sign, that of one´s learning.

The greater nightmare of good teachers  is after having made the famous "any questions?" and the entire class says NO!

In general, the master knows they are dealing with are a group of liars and when the exam is dropped in his desk they don´t know a thing about it.

So, feel free to ask anytime.  If one participant don´t know, other certainly do.

If you don´t make sense of someone´s post, certainly by reading other side/view of the question you are going to understand.

Awright? 

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
What como sujeito da oração  –  Crespus2006=)  10/OUT/2008, 3:35 AM
What como sujeito da oração  –  Márcio Farias  10/OUT/2008, 10:27 AM
What como sujeito da oração  –  LilBoyTeenager  10/OUT/2008, 1:14 PM
What como sujeito da oração  –  Maria Valeska  10/OUT/2008, 2:15 PM
What como sujeito da oração  –  Johannes  10/OUT/2008, 4:02 PM
What como sujeito da oração  –  LilBoyTeenager  10/OUT/2008, 7:44 PM
Re: IT and sujeito...  –  PPAULO  10/OUT/2008, 8:29 PM
Re: IT and sujeito...  –  PPAULO  10/OUT/2008, 8:37 PM
What como sujeito da oração  –  Carina Cabral  10/OUT/2008, 9:49 PM
What como sujeito da oração  –  PPAULO  10/OUT/2008, 10:03 PM
What como sujeito da oração  –  Crespus2006=)  10/OUT/2008, 11:58 PM
What como sujeito da oração - para o Lil  –  Crespus2006=)  11/OUT/2008, 12:03 AM
What como sujeito da oração - Thanx  –  Crespus2006=)  11/OUT/2008, 3:03 AM
What como sujeito da oração - Thanx  –  Dale/CR  11/OUT/2008, 5:18 AM
What como sujeito da oração - para o Lil  –  Maria Valeska  11/OUT/2008, 2:11 PM
What como sujeito da oração - para o Lil  –  Josi  11/OUT/2008, 6:12 PM
What como sujeito da oração - para o Lil  –  renan  11/OUT/2008, 7:33 PM
What como sujeito da oração - para o Dale  –  Crespus2006=)  11/OUT/2008, 10:14 PM
What como sujeito da oração - para o Dale  –  Dale/CR  11/OUT/2008, 11:36 PM
What como sujeito da oração - para o Dale  –  Crespus2006=)  12/OUT/2008, 2:01 AM
What como sujeito da oração - para o Dale  –  Dale/CR  12/OUT/2008, 4:11 PM
What como sujeito da oração - para o Dale  –  Crespus2006=)  13/OUT/2008, 4:58 AM
What como sujeito da oração - para o Lil  –  Crespus2006=)  11/OUT/2008, 10:21 PM
What como sujeito da oração - para o Lil  –  Dale/CR  12/OUT/2008, 12:03 AM
What como sujeito da oração - para o Lil  –  PPAULO  12/OUT/2008, 12:28 AM
What como sujeito da oração - para o Lil  –  Crespus2006=)  12/OUT/2008, 1:00 AM
What como sujeito da oração   –  Crespus2006=)  12/OUT/2008, 1:12 AM
 Re: What como sujeito da oração - para o Lil  –  PPAULO  12/OUT/2008, 1:20 AM
Re: What como sujeito da oração - para o Lil  –  Dale/CR  12/OUT/2008, 4:26 PM
Re: What como sujeito da oração - para o Lil  –  PPAULO  12/OUT/2008, 5:02 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K