[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  16/OUT/2008 1:15 AM
Assunto:  Re: To hold up the wall

Mensagem:  Mano, you walk into your office.  You see some colleagues talking.  Some or all  of them are leaning against the wall.  You say hello, and to tease them you add, "Are you guys holding up the wall?"

As you can see, it's just a joke, something to say to people who are not working, who are relaxing instead of doing their jobs.  You are not insulting them.  You are not saying that they should be working.  You are just joking  with them.

As I was writing this, I realized I'd never seen women do this, just men.  In my last office, the men would stand outside the office but inside the building.  (The building had many offices and many floors.  There was a snack shop on the same floor as our main office.  It was common to get a coffee and stand outside the door of the office to get away from the telephones and chat with a friend for a few minutes.)  Maybe they would be drinking coffee during a break.  Often several of them would stand with their backs against the wall, talking with one another  and checking out (olhando) the girls walk by.

If I haven't been clear, let me know.

Good luck!

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
To hold up the wall  –  mano  15/OUT/2008, 5:34 PM
Re: To hold up the wall  –  PPAULO  15/OUT/2008, 8:20 PM
Re: To hold up the wall  –  PPAULO  15/OUT/2008, 8:41 PM
Re: To hold up the wall  –  PPAULO  15/OUT/2008, 8:44 PM
 Re: To hold up the wall  –  Dale/CR  16/OUT/2008, 1:15 AM
Re: To hold up the wall  –  Márcio Farias  16/OUT/2008, 7:46 AM
Re: To hold up the wall  –  LIMA  16/OUT/2008, 1:32 PM