ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  21/OUT/2008 2:00 PM
Assunto:  Diferenças

Mensagem: 

Dale, when you say that we use 'to rob' banks only when they are people inside, how would you call an 'assalto ao banco' and those who carry out the act when there are no people inside?

Like those who dig a tunnel and in the dead of the night empty the bank's safes?

I'd call them Brazilians! 

Los Angeles is (or was) the bank robbery capital of the world, and I can't think of a case of someone tunneling into a bank there.  A few years ago in San Niguel, near Los Angeles, I think a group went through a roof.  I don't recall the details, but I don't believe it was a building built to be a bank but rather a structure in a strip mall, probably built to be a store and later turned into a bank branch.

Johannes, I can't think of a name for the crime you describe.   I would expect to read (hear) an explanation of what they did, as you described the crime above.

One of the problems is that each of the 50 states of the USA is almost a separate country, and the laws and legal terminology vary from state to state.  I've seen "rap sheets" (printouts of prior arrests) from maybe half the states, and the names of the same general crime can be quite different from one area of the country to another.  "Drunk driving" in one state may be "driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs" in another, or maybe "driving while intoxicated", or whatever.  Yet another problem is that I think bank robbery is a federal offense, not within the authority of a state to prosecute.  The robberies I was involved with took place in stores, homes, the street, etc. 

By the way, around August 2006 there was a bank tunnel job in Porto Alegre.  I had walked over the tunnel while it was being dug.  Dozens of people were involved.  Somebody talked.

That's another thing.  In Brazil someone is arrested and within 30 minutes or less he makes a full confession implicating his mother, cousins, neighbors, high school teachers, etc.  Two hours later he is released.  I was within about 25 meters of two banks in Gramado when they were robbed in 2006.  Most of the robbers were arrested within days, and within a week I read that they were out walking around.  How is that possible? 

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Diferenças  –  RobertoSP  19/OUT/2008, 10:08 PM
Diferenças  –  Basher  20/OUT/2008, 1:30 AM
yell and shout  –  Johannes  20/OUT/2008, 5:45 AM
Diferenças  –  Dale/CR  20/OUT/2008, 1:30 PM
Diferenças  –  LilBoyTeenager  20/OUT/2008, 10:15 PM
Diferenças  –  Johannes  21/OUT/2008, 8:38 AM
Diferenças  –  Márcio Farias  21/OUT/2008, 10:00 AM
Diferenças  –  Johannes  21/OUT/2008, 10:29 AM
Diferenças  –  Márcio Farias  21/OUT/2008, 10:52 AM