[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  27/OUT/2008 11:50 AM
Assunto:  cajun

Mensagem:  As I recall, the "Acadians" were French-speaking settlers in the Newfoundland area of Canada.  The British took them forcibly from their lands to the southeastern part of what later became the USA.  Possibly this was in the 1700s.  The largest group now lives in the Mississippi-Alabama area, but I believe there were settlements in Georgia too.  Over time, "Acadian" began to be pronounced "Cajun".

Cajun food is wonderful!  "Jambalaya" is probably the best known.  I believe the name comes from the French  word for ham.  "Gumbo" is an African dish, but it's also closely associated the Cajun cooking.  I love Cajun bread pudding.  They also make "dirty rice" and  "boudin" (a type of sausage with rice).  If you are eating Cajun, expect lots of spices and seafood.  Cajun restaurants can be found in many US cities. 

Cajun music is very lively and happy.  You can't hear it without wanting to dance.

Around 1982, a movie entitled "Southern Comfort" came out.  The movie is about a confrontation between soldiers and Cajuns.  It was a misunderstanding, but a very deadly one.  The last 15 minutes or so of the film has non-stop Cajun music.

If you Google "Cajun",  I'm sure  you'll find much more information.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
cajun  –  Eduarda  27/OUT/2008, 10:52 AM
cajun  –  Breckenfeld  27/OUT/2008, 11:37 AM
 cajun  –  Dale/CR  27/OUT/2008, 11:50 AM
cajun  –  Wagner  28/OUT/2008, 4:48 PM
cajun  –  Dale/CR  29/OUT/2008, 10:39 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K