PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Johannes
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  13/DEZ/2008 3:50 PM
Assunto:  For you, experienced, non-native speakers

Mensagem: 

Hi Fabricio,

While I consider myself fluent in English, I like to have subtitles if they are available. I find myself listening in one language and reading subtitles in another at the same time.

Because of accents maybe or sound reproduction I prefer them with subtitles. Often I pick out differences in translation , which is interesting in as far that it shows that our mind can function simultaneously in 2 languages.

I have this basically with films but I am quite happy to watch and hear the news on BBC, CNN or Skynews or any other without subtitles because it is spoken clearly.

With songs this can be the same. I often wonder if  natives themselves do fully understand what is said/sung.

Another thing is that when I hear a word never heard before, I want to know how it is written.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
For you, experienced, non-native speakers  –  Fabricioaugusto  13/DEZ/2008, 2:51 PM
For you, experienced, non-native speakers  –  Márcio Farias  13/DEZ/2008, 3:32 PM
 For you, experienced, non-native speakers  –  Johannes  13/DEZ/2008, 3:50 PM
For you, experienced, non-native speakers  –  Deivis  13/DEZ/2008, 5:54 PM
And in Brazil too  –  Dale/CR  14/DEZ/2008, 1:04 AM
For you, experienced, non-native speakers  –  Wauber.  13/DEZ/2008, 8:29 PM
For you, experienced, non-native speakers  –  Deivis  14/DEZ/2008, 1:35 AM
For you, experienced, non-native speakers  –  PPAULO  14/DEZ/2008, 9:27 PM
For you, experienced, non-native speakers  –  PPAULO  14/DEZ/2008, 10:56 PM
For you, experienced, non-native speakers  –  Fabricioaugusto  16/DEZ/2008, 12:16 AM
For you, experienced, non-native speakers  –  Aman  18/DEZ/2008, 11:41 PM
For you, experienced, non-native speakers  –  Crespus2006 =)  22/DEZ/2008, 4:07 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K