[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Tom
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  13/FEV/2004 6:58 PM
Assunto:  Re: Very

Mensagem:  The examples that Johannes is giving are correct. It is said that Americans use the word "very" as an intensifier too often and thus reduce the impact on the statement. However, because this appears to be such an important issue, I decided to actually look at some grammar. And, here's what I found: Start QUOTE HERE Source: The Collins English Dictionary © 2000 HarperCollins Publishers: very ['vɛrý] adverb(ial) 1 (intensifier) used to add emphasis to adjectives that are able to be graded example: very good example: very tall adjective [prenominal] 2 (intensifier) used with nouns preceded by a definite article or possessive determiner, in order to give emphasis to the significance, appropriateness or relevance of a noun in a particular context, or to give exaggerated intensity to certain nouns example: the very man I want to see example: his very name struck terror example: the very back of the room 3 (intensifier) used in metaphors to emphasize the applicability of the image to the situation described example: he was a very lion in the fight 4 (archaic) a real or true; genuine example: the very living God b lawful example: the very vengeance of the gods [ETYMOLOGY: 13th Century: from Old French verai true, from Latin verax true, from verus true] In strict usage adverbs of degree such as very, too, quite, really, and extremely are used only to qualify adjectives: he is very happy; she is too sad. By this rule, these words should not be used to qualify past participles that follow the verb to be, since they would then be technically qualifying verbs. With the exception of certain participles, such as tired or disappointed, that have come to be regarded as adjectives, all other past participles are qualified by adverbs such as much, greatly, seriously, or excessively: he has been much (not very) inconvenienced; she has been excessively (not too) criticized. END QUOTE here Because the etymology mentions French as the origin of very I went and looked at my old French grammar books. Here are some examples of what I found: the very book which le livre même que the very thought (of it) ... rien que d'y penser ... at the very end tout à la fin the very last le tout dernier at the very least au moins very well très bien very little très peu very much beaucoup I sure hope this helps, Tom

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Very  –  Milena  13/FEV/2004, 8:23 AM
Re: Very  –  Johannes  13/FEV/2004, 8:41 AM
Re: Very  –  Milena  13/FEV/2004, 8:53 AM
Re: Very  –  Johannes  13/FEV/2004, 9:00 AM
Re: Very  –  Johannes  13/FEV/2004, 9:41 AM
Re: Very  –  Bruno  13/FEV/2004, 1:50 PM
Re: Very  –  Oneguinho  13/FEV/2004, 6:38 PM
Re: Very  –  Silvio  13/FEV/2004, 10:58 AM
Re: Very  –  Johannes  13/FEV/2004, 12:33 PM