[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  José Roberto
E-mail:  josezambon@terra.com.br
Data:  29/MAR/2009 10:49 PM
Assunto:  Perfect aspect

Mensagem:  Portuguese has this aspect, the problem is that it spreads basically to three different forms in Portuguese.

Pretérito perfeito do indicativo (eu comprei o carro=> I have bought the car) this tense in Port can also convey non-perfect, matter-of-fact aspect (eu comprei o carro ontem=> I bought the car yesterday). 

Presente do indicativo (eu sempre quis ser médico=> I have always wanted to be a doctor; eu trabalho lá há 5 anos=> I've worked (or I've been working) there for 5 years), again the problem for us is that this verb form can also talk about pure non-remote-in-time facts, like present simple in English does (eu trabalho lá=> I work there).

Presente composto do indicativo (eu tenho trabalhado lá por muito tempo=> I've been working (or I 've worked) there for a long time). I guess this tense in Portuguese could be the only one which matches the English Present Perfect (tenho trabalhado => have worked where tenho is a morphological agreement in tense, number and person from the stem ter, and trabalhado is the "participle" of the verb trabalhar) when it comes to facts that started in the past and go on up to now, but this tense is not terribly common in our language.

As you can see the problem is the lack of this aspect, the problem is that they don't map cross languages and for the learner (adult learners) it is quite difficult to understand that languages can convey the same idea using different strategies .

regards

JR

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
has bought vs. bought  –  Márcio Farias  28/MAR/2009, 10:39 PM
has bought vs. bought  –  Josi  28/MAR/2009, 10:43 PM
has bought vs. bought  –  Dale/CR  29/MAR/2009, 2:32 AM
has bought vs. bought  –  Josi  29/MAR/2009, 12:56 PM
has bought vs. bought  –  Confuso  29/MAR/2009, 10:10 PM
has bought vs. bought  –  Ultrastermento  29/MAR/2009, 10:46 PM
has bought vs. bought  –  Em Room  29/MAR/2009, 6:42 PM