PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  01/ABR/2009 9:02 PM
Assunto:  outlets

Mensagem:  "Posto de venta"?

I don't think "sucursal" comes close.

A business owner can call his business anything he wants.  However, the word "outlet" in the USA is associated with a store owned by a factory that is selling a portion of its merchandise in the store.  Often the merchandise has been discontinued or replaced by newer models, in an unpopular color, out of season (winter shoes in the summer), etc.  Whatever the reason, it is not selling well in the usual retail stores.  The prices are often quite low.  I recall finding some snow boots that retailed for about $80 that were priced $40, but they were on special that day for $30, and I got a 25% discount for opening an account (which I never used).  So, I paid about $22.50 plus tax for boots that had sold for $80.  Not bad!  There are shopping centers that specialize in outlets.  Often they are found between cities, not within cities, along well traveled highways or freeways.  (In the state of Sao Paulo, good locations might include between Sampa and Campinas, Sampas and Tabuate, and Tabuate and Sao Jose dos Campos.)  I assume this is done so that the factory outlet stores are not in direct competition with retail stores in the cities.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
outlets  –  dovo  01/ABR/2009, 7:40 PM
 outlets  –  Dale/CR  01/ABR/2009, 9:02 PM
outlets  –  PPAULO  03/ABR/2009, 9:35 PM
outlets  –  Lisa  04/ABR/2009, 7:11 PM
outlets  –  PPAULO  05/ABR/2009, 1:57 AM
outlets  –  PPAULO  05/ABR/2009, 2:03 AM
For the record  –  Dale/CR  05/ABR/2009, 1:48 PM
For the record  –  PPAULO  05/ABR/2009, 3:50 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.