LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  18/ABR/2009 12:04 AM
Assunto:  Ask for/about

Mensagem: 

Márcio asked for Dale's research on/about rocket science. = ok
Marcio asked about Valeska´s last  research. = ok

I must admit that I made a typo, or even a mistake here, maybe because I had a tiresome day, with so much work!    It´s not an excuse (or maybe it is a lame one).  I am indebted to Dale for not let it go unchecked.  We welcome accuraccy, we want our writting the as closest as possible to the standard English, of course.

==============================

As for, 'to ask for (something) ', I have seen this form in several places, sites etc; though, in dictionaries it´s registered in the following ways:

ask for - pedir

it´s just asking for it (or trouble) - é procurar encrenca.  

Perhaps the following examples are derivations of the latter...

====
Is Nick Saban to blame for this latest violation? - CBSSports.com ... - [ Traduzir esta
 página ]6 Mar 2009
 You got what you asked for! This is only the beginning of the downfall of Alabama .

Batman Begins - [ Traduzir esta página ]You asked for this sh*t! Me: I know but...
Hollywood Goon: We even got one of dem candyass arthouse directors to smarten shi*  up! ...

Fight Everyone - Up Against the World Lyrics - notPopular.com - [ Traduzir esta página ]
Is this what you asked for? This is what you asked for. See what you've done, from all your  faults. Your time is up, our time has come.

/////////
www.insuranceinstitute.com/news/Feb_05.pdf
I was complaining, whining, and crying for five,six, maybe seven minutes or so. I whined and
 com-plained and whined some more. (I figured I wasbound to get a company car out of this or
 some-thing.) The whole time I was complaining, my bosswas just staring at me, waiting for me
 to finish.I finally ran myself down and stopped. Helooked at me for a few seconds and said,
 “Carl, areyou finished?” I said, “Yeah, I’m finished.” “Good,”he said, “because I want to
 remind you of some-thing.” And I said, “Yeah, what?”“Carl,” he said, “you asked for this job,
 remember?You sat here, in this office, and went into detail abouthow tough this job was going
 to be and why you werethe only person I should select. You practically begged me for this job.

==================================================

And there is the very fact that I said 'sometimes', not always.

However, the subject is open to discussion and interpretation.

Hugs, PP.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Ask  –  Laura Silva  16/ABR/2009, 10:38 AM
Ask for/about  –  Márcio Farias  16/ABR/2009, 11:34 AM
Ask for/about  –  PPAULO  16/ABR/2009, 7:51 PM
Ask for/about  –  Márcio Farias  17/ABR/2009, 10:28 AM
Ask for/about  –  Dale/CR  17/ABR/2009, 2:10 PM
Ask for/about  –  Laura Zanin  17/ABR/2009, 6:01 PM
Ask for/about  –  Dale/CR  17/ABR/2009, 8:20 PM
 Ask for/about  –  PPAULO  18/ABR/2009, 12:04 AM