ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  23/ABR/2009 7:04 PM
Assunto:  Preposições

Mensagem: 

Por que em alguns casos as preposições em inglês ficam omitidas como em  homemade

(feito em casa), ryebread (pão de centeio) e em outros casos elas surgem como em source of fiber (fonte de fibras), como explicar isto gramaticalmente? 

Sounds like you are making a confusion here.   When you say that prepositions in English left out, and then you give the word in Portuguese.

Now, the grammar bit.

You can use 'of '     "to what something is madre from":

A dress of pure silk

These bowls are made of plastic.

Source and examples:  Longman Dictionary.

==================================================

There are other rule of thumb, that says:    a noun before another 'adjective' it (the latter). Thus, I think that in most cases you can use both, 'of' or a noun before the other.

e.g. A plastic ball or a ball of plastic.

A source of fiber or   a fiber source.

However, there are plenty of examples that is more natural to use one only one form or another.  For instance, you better say 'ryebread' than bread of rye. I think it´s more natural in this case.

As for 'homemade', you got confused with the portuguese form 'feito em casa' (the preposition is only in portuguese (hence the confusion).

I hope it helps, and hope others improve the answer (it is a rough diamond, or even a rough stone!).

See you again.

PP.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Preposições   –  tomahawk490  23/ABR/2009, 10:13 AM
 Preposições   –  PPAULO  23/ABR/2009, 7:04 PM
Preposições   –  PPAULO  23/ABR/2009, 7:08 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K