ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  18/MAI/2009 10:12 PM
Assunto:  estou com dificuldade em traduzir essa frase

Mensagem: 

You´re not alone, you´re in good company, many people get themselves confused when it comes to slang, I am no exception to the rule.

Thus, I decided to go to one of these sites of slangs. I fished out this definition, this is only an excerpt; indeed, the whole discussion is there.

And gig in informal Englis is a show (probably it was said in this sense in the your sentence).   Now let´s go to the task at hand.

http://www.wordwizard.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6662

scarper
Posted on: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:01 am

When was the word scarper (meaning run away) first used?

Submitted by James Crosby (NORFOLK - England)

scarper
Posted on: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:15 am

James, The first appearance of the slang verb SCARPER/SCAPALI/SCARPY meaning to depart hastily, decamp from, run away, to escape, make one’s getaway, or to flee or depart suddenly, especially without having paid one's bills [‘scarper the letty’ – where ‘letty’ means lodgings and derives from Polari (see below)], was in 1846. It was originally from that mysterious (at least to me) Polari tongue (also ‘parlyaree’ or ‘parlary’ tongue – from Italian ‘parlare,’ to speak, talk) – which is the distinctive English argot in use since at least the 18th century among groups of theatrical and circus performers derived largely from Italian, directly or indirectly through Lingua Franca (the Italian-Provencal jargon with elements of Spanish, French, Greek, Arabic, and Turkish formerly widely used in eastern Mediterranean ports). Also, in Italian ‘scappare’ means to escape, to get away, flee.

SCARPER noun (as in the phrase ‘to do a scarper’): to run away, ‘do a bunk’.
Quote:
<1846 ‘Swell's Night Guide,’ page 43: “He must ‘hook it’ before ‘day~light does appear’, and then scarper by the back door.”>

<1931 “Round up this lot now and scarpa yourselves.”—‘Look to the Lady’ by M. Allingham, xxiv, page 253>

<1933 “‘I'll be punching you up the belly if you don't scarper,’ threatened Smith.”—‘Stir’ by G. Ingram, iii, Page 45>

<1974 “His panic became unbearable. He jumped out of bed and scarpered!”—‘Sunday Post’ (Glasgow) 21 July page 16/4>

<1958 “We had all planned to do a scarper.”—‘Bang to Right’s’ by F. Norman, page 63:>
(Cassell’s Dictionary of Slang, Partridge’s Dictionary of Slang, Oxford English Dictionary, Random House Unabridged Dictionary)

Ken G – March 7, 2004

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
estou com dificuldade em traduzir essa frase  –  gabriel  18/MAI/2009, 7:50 PM
 estou com dificuldade em traduzir essa frase  –  PPAULO  18/MAI/2009, 10:12 PM
estou com dificuldade em traduzir essa frase  –  Dale-CR  19/MAI/2009, 12:41 AM
bom....aqui esta o texto na integra..  –  gabriel  19/MAI/2009, 1:06 AM
bom....aqui esta o texto na integra..  –  Dale-CR  19/MAI/2009, 1:55 AM
esqueci...  –  gabriel  19/MAI/2009, 1:11 AM
esqueci...  –  PPAULO  19/MAI/2009, 1:35 AM
esqueci...  –  gabriel  19/MAI/2009, 1:45 AM