ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  06/JUL/2009 8:44 PM
Assunto:  Não sujar na entrada, mas na saída

Mensagem: 

In answer to Marcio´s post #1    (language  and culture-wise, I mean).

A-B was a polite guy, he treated everyone very civil; and then this, he snaps like that...

C-Looks like he got tired of being/acting the good guy/the saint.  

Indeed, I don´t know if this is the natural way of speaking, since I am in Brazil, never been abroad.     So, I think that might have other (improved) ways of saying that.

I´ll learn, then.

But from my knowledge of the world and of English I think the general idea is this.

-----------------------

... não sujei na entrada, mas acabei sujando na saída ao acursar... 

Dou a mão (os pés inclusive) à palmatória.

I didn´t screw (up) in the beggining, but I screw in the end by accusing...

-I give you my arm to be twisted (?) Hmm I think it´s not the sentence...

-I will eat this crow...

-I will eat the humble pie...

-I admit that you were right/I conced that...

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Interesting how a thread like this never showed up before, in Brazzil Forum there was an entire topic about. Of course there talking about racism, in a given post a participant throw this gem ''quando não...na entrada...na saída".

Of course he not said this in a comendatory way.

What made me wonder, was the fact that never ever this came up here, not even as a question about proverbs or what? who is afraid of Virginia Wolf? or paraphrasing who is afraid of talking about prejudice? do we sweep prejudice under our carpet in denial?

Or aren´t we prejudiced in any way? Are we prejudiced against the poor, the black, the indian, the rich, the beautiful, the ugly?

= = = = == = = = = == = = = = = = = = === = = == = = = = = = == = = = = =

Culture.

Also, when we say "quando não suja...na entrada....suja na saída", it speaks volumes.

I mean, we Brazilian (many of us) never trust nobody wholly, so we get waiting till somebody make a mistake, then these fixed expression emerges...

Other characteristic of these expressions are that they are used by bullying people, the ones that have some discriminatory power over others, or a group over the individual.

So, when you slip or make a blunder, your boss (mainly in the Southeast and South states of Brazil, but not all.  Let´s not stereotype, huh?) says "só podia ser...baiano/cearense/paraense/paraíba etc... or "isso é serviço de português/baiano etc"

I point this out, because you that are coming to Brazil can work with some Devil that don´t wear Prada.     And he can be real annoying and try to bully these kind of guys, and trying to win an ally he/she may use sentences like that, don´t go there, it is discrimination in disguise.   

Maybe it is even funny to the one that are hearing, but not to the one that is subject of the bullying, and today this is slowly changing.  You know, there are ways of suing the bad guys for moral harassment.

Not that I am advocating an all out war siding the politically correct, it´s not the case, I am talking bullying culture against minorities and the weakest.

In fact, black is not minority in our country, as many try to lead others believe.

But this is subject of some other thread in the future, if any.

Back to the issue of the matter, when a football coach win 99 matches and lose one (or even tie one) he is sacked on spot, and next day he is the public enemy number one of the supporter of this team, so why we hire him from the very start? knowing that the guy is not going change anything, he won´t have time to do...

In the US, they wait more, and in Europe a guy can lose for a lenghty time without being sacked.  They wait (and invest) to get the end result.

So, the football fans can say that in the very first matches when a guy is landing in a new team and make their first mistakes, "quando não suja...suja..." in such cases shows the Brazilian impatience.  In Football and sports this is very commom, in this country.

PP.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Não sujar na entrada, mas na saída  –  Márcio Farias  06/JUL/2009, 1:40 PM
Não sujar na entrada, mas na saída  –  Joke  06/JUL/2009, 12:50 PM
Não sujar na entrada, mas na saída  –  Márcio Farias  06/JUL/2009, 1:27 PM
Não sujar na entrada, mas na saída  –  NN  06/JUL/2009, 3:20 PM
 Não sujar na entrada, mas na saída  –  PPAULO  06/JUL/2009, 8:44 PM
Não sujar na entrada, mas na saída  –  PPAULO  06/JUL/2009, 8:47 PM
TO PPaulo  –  Paulo S  07/JUL/2009, 1:18 PM
TO PPaulo  –  PPAULO  07/JUL/2009, 1:40 PM